Stop heydon windfrm..

for whoever it was that was intersted

The Natural Philosopher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher saying something like:

"It is likely that the value of our houses will plummet and become difficult to sell"

With all the other reasons, some valid, some spurious, there is the rub.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

OK. And who can blame him? Come on, Grimly old chap!

I have a sneaking suspicion that (as TNP often claims) "wind power" is grossly over-rated -- just a gut feeling, based largely on the the fact that a lot of fairly unsavoury people/corporations are getting rich on our taxes. The whole idea is not so much power-full, as it's green-looking.

OTOH, I know several people who say "Well actually I quite like the look of them... better than those horrible pylons..."

Which about sums up how informed the general public are, about this "debate". It's not a debate: it's like a lot of other things these days: it's a raucous argument between two entrenched parties, one of which has deeply vested interests (namely: cash), and both of whom employ lobbyists. Lobbyists don't debate: they shout at each other, while at the same time seizing the ear of those in power. Unfortunately, money talks these days louder than it ever did; and who has the money? "a lot of fairly unsavoury people/corporations"

Also unfortunately I, you, and many of the rest of us here in this group, will be dead by the time people start referring snortingly to the fact that "that old wind power scam turned out to be a lot of hot air". No doubt by then the *same* corporations will be being paid taxpayers' money to demolish these horrendously expensive monstrosities.

John

Reply to
Another John

Me, for a start. I find them (windmills) restful and pleasant.

Reply to
Skipweasel

You err .. don't live near one then;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

No, but I've gone out of my way to admire them, and camped near them on purpose in France.

Reply to
Skipweasel

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Skipweasel saying something like:

Careful, you might get 'windmill syndrome'.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

They are out to sea at 3 miles range.

In the middle of restful pleasant countryside 500 yards from your bedroom window, they are a crime.

"I will never hear the sound of wind in the trees again".

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not in a tent. Doesn't resonate the way a house does.

I think london busses are attractive, but they used to wake me every morning at 5am by shaking the bed when they stopped just under my Crouch End Broadway window.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Who do you think I am? Thomas Crown?

Reply to
Skipweasel

Which shows what thick tw**ts they are. How do youo suupose they get the power from where the wind blows to where it's needed? There will be a lot more pylons...

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Exactly. Wit a peak to mean ratio of 3.5:1 you need treble the size of grid for exactly the same amount of overall grid capacity.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mostly "out of town" these days. Just look at the number of empty shops in any town centre.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Tory B Liar *WAS* a tory in all but party membership.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher saying something like:

Looked awfully to me as if the NL shower were just carrying on the same dreadful policies as had gone before. There was a certain inevitability about Britain losing manufacturing jobs to the developing world, but I honestly thought some proper leadership and job-retention initiative would be shown; and I can't believe, in retrospect, I actually cheered when the NL shower of wankers were elected in 1997.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

So it was your fault.

Reply to
dennis

Only suspicions?

Or have had to bring up a family on minimum wage. The current lot (all sides) are so far out of touch it beggers belief.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I wouldnt say that the latter is much of a qualification for being able to DO anything about the problems, though it might be indicative of understanding what it feels like.

But really, sympathy is NOT what I want from a politician: I want positive action towards pragmatic solutions.

Quite frankly, no politician at the moment appears to have a clue which way to go.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can't believe that it wasn't quite clear that Blair was a charlatan even back then.

What sort of job-retention initiatives would you have proposed?

Reply to
Tim Streater

That joke about how you can tell a politician is lying? (His mouth is moving).

It isn't a joke.

Reply to
Huge