Stone floor - traffic wax or sealant?

I'm getting some limestone for my kitchen floor and window sills (from Oxfordshire). The quarry says they always treat it with linseed oil (which hardens it) & traffic wax but this sounds a very labour intensive finish to maintain. We don't wear shoes in the house but even so it will at some point get grubby and the wax will darken - what then? As far as I can see, any dirt stuck to the wax won't come off with water (and I don't want the kind of wax that shows every water mark). I don't want to use anything that removes wax so it needs repolishing and I don't want it getting dark or grubby patches that can't be cleaned.

I'm thinking of using Hagesan impregnator on it. This dries clear and doesn't discolour, but probably does not harden the stone. It might also seal it so it cannot breathe. There's also HG golvpolish, but this seems to be just another wax.

Any advice? Is traffic wax trouble free or not? What is the best treatment?

Thanks Roger

Reply to
Roger Moss

Whatever advise on product you get, I would try them on scrap bits of stone. This could be an expensive mistake.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Have a look back in the previous threads for comments related to Lithofin products (use Google Groups).

I would not use a wax for this application. Lithofin have impregnators and treatments that will create various effects without needing maintenance. You can go for glossy or something more matt.

Have you talked to anybody about the suitability of limestone in a kitchen? It is susceptible to anything acidic.......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall