Sticking front door

So the front door (ancient timber one) is sticking a bit at the bottom, directly below the latch. Perfectly possible to open it without problem if you apply a bit of lift to the handle when you pull, but you know what SWMBO and kids are like.

Something Must Be Done.

I am very loathe to take a plane to it, as I'm sure it's a weather thing (has happened before) and the timber will shrink back again leaving too large a gap. (Have had this experience before and consequently the French windows spend all the winter with a large strip of duck tape down the middle due to the massive gap between the doors).

How is it best to handle a problem like this?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Are the hinges loose - or worn? If so, then tighten or replace them. Pay particular attention to the top hinge.

Reply to
John

Lobster formulated on Saturday :

If it is a tiny amount, rub a candle along the bit where it is sticking.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

If it opens easily by lifting, means either the hinges are worn/loose, or the door or frame is moving in another way?

I'm surprised you're having this trouble now. All my seasonally sticking doors are free. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Really don't think so... I can't detect any play in the hinges or movement in the frame etc - which I appreciate contradicts the observation that applying 'lift' to the handle helps it open normally! Must be an imperceptible amount - maybe a mere mm lift at the opening end is enough?

Think I'll give Harry's candle a whirl...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Well that seems to have done the trick nicely, thanks! We'll see how long it lasts; maybe I need to keep a candle on the windowsill by the door...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Lobster wrote on 10/05/2008 :

You leave my candle alone, get your own :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Sounds very much like a dropped top hinge to me, check screws on door & frame.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

PS Thinking further on this, the problem is probably exacerbated by wife and kids as the door handle is quite high, so there will be a natural tendency for them to pull in a slightly downwards direction anyway, when they open the door.

Reply to
Lobster

Two options here, wait for kids to grow & replace wife with taller model - or, remove screws holding top hinge to frame - you might even find some cardboard packing, if so remove it. If not shave a little away with a sharp chisel to deepen rebate, plug screw holes with matchsticks & screw hinge back.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You may also find that the hinge has worn and has allowed the door to drop. If it doesn't stick when you lift it then it implies there must be some play somewhere - hinges or wood joints.

Reply to
John

I've just dealt with a door with exactly this problem. There was a large enough gap on the latch side that a couple of thicknesses of card between the lower hinge and its frame rebate lifted the dragging corner without causing it to foul elsewhere.

This door is around 70 years old, and appears to have its original hinges. The lower one has some wear, but I reckon it will see me out if I keep it oiled.

Reply to
Kevin Poole