Garage door completed. Now, suspended shelves?

Thanks mainly to Andy Halls encouragement, the Recorded Delivery letter with legaleze undertones, written to my garage door fitting company had the usual magical effect. I still can't bring myself to start all my complaint procedures that way though. It seems just too pessimistic for a standard approach.

Anyway, now that's done and dusted, I'm asking for advice on the most sensible and economical way to install sturdy continuous shelving in my garage, going from head-height to ceiling (

Reply to
treenoakio

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com expressed precisely :

One option (if they must be suspended) is to cut some short bits of angle iron, drill fixing hole to mount on the beam on one side and a hole in the other side suitable for some threaded rod. Drill a hole in the shelf to suit the rod, a nut and a washer will then secure one side

-if repeated every couple of feet. You can support the outer edge of the shelf like this or both edges. Alternatively you could add a batten along the wall to support the back edge of the shelf. Using threaded rod maximises the available room and it is quick.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

threaded rod would make them more comfortable to hold on to when stocking or picking.

-- Regards, Dick Treen

Reply to
treenoakio

It shouldn't be necessary, if suppliers followed the simple and basic principle of doing what they say they will do.

In some cases, where I believe that the person making the offer is naive or doesn't have the authority, i will ask them to check. That can save a lot of time as well.

Framing of that nature would be a reasonable way to do it. I would use 18mm ply and not particle board, however.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'm going to take a leaf out of your book, in that respect, in future. All that was clearly stated initially is that the company would supply and fit an electrically operated roller door. No mention that they'd wire it up properly, use treated timber, or make good the damage done by removal of the old door. I simply took this as understood.

There's a considerable number of tradesmen I've dealt with in the past who would resent having to go into such detail about what they intend to do in the completion of a job. Certainly, the way these particular garage door people seemed to operate, I would've waited a long time for that level of detail to be documented. Even so, after this recent experience I'm going to get the fine details in writing from now on.

I'm really chuffed about Harry Bloomfield's threaded rod suggestion. I drew it this morning and it looks just the ticket. When it comes to the shelves I'll take your advice and use ply.

-- Regards, Dick Treen

Reply to
treenoakio