Sticking Door Mystery

Our house came with an old solid wood front door that even after many years of shaving off the edge likes to stick when the wet winter weather arrives.

So the vertical side edge with the lock (opposite the hinge side) is closer to the Jamb at the top. So its the usual Sagging situation.

To my mind if i would sink the top hinge further into the jamb it would remedy this situation.

This youtube shows someone fixing this situation using a small coin placed between the door and the top hinge.

The youtube title is:

"how to adjust a door with a penny, no need to use a door planer".

It would make more sense to me if this was done on the bottom hinge, but others are saying on this you tube that how he does it works for them.

Would someone more clever than myself be able to explain the mechanics of how this works please.

Reply to
john curzon

If the above is OK, then look at the lock side of the door. If the gap at the bottom is larger than the gap at the top then packing out the bottom hinge will close that gap a bit and at the same time pivot the door within the frame and cause the gap at the top to open. To pack out the hinge use card (cereal box) in between the hinge and frame.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

It works because it angles the leaf of the hinge to take the hinge pin further into the door.

Bill

Reply to
wrights...

Would this not result in a draught?. Also it could bind somewhere else as it sags. My old inner door has been warping since it was new, apparently in

1939, and was already well on its way in 56 when we moved in. Most people have replaced it, but I now have a upvc outer door which is double glazed, so the inner one is merely secondary, and makes the hallway feel more private. Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff

Would you not have to push out the bottom hinge and sink in the top one to fix this? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If you look at where he is packing out the hinges it is at the extreme edge of the leaf of the hinge in the frame. This has the effect of skewing the hinge slightly in the cut out and this causes the knuckle of the hinge to move more towards the frame hence why it produces a small gap at the top of the lock stile.

Packing out the lower hinges would do the same but also even the gap at the top.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky