Solid wood door (double door)

I want to replace my current double exterior door. Well it is an exterior door on both sides, the outside is facing the street, and the inside is facing the courtyard. So it's not an entry door to a building structure. The existing door is a hollow wood door and the bottom is rotted from being too low touching the deck where there is moisture, and the hinges are rusted.

I would like to replace it with a solid wood door, and I don't want anything fancy just two slabs of 3/4" wood 30" W x 78-1/2" H x 3/4" D and I would like to have a normal cylinder lock, a dead bolt, and top/bottom flush bolts on one door.

It seems the big box stores only sell doors with fany panels and cravings which I don't care for. I called two local lumber yards and they don't do it either.

Anyone know of a good source that would do custom sized plain jane solid wood flat door with custom routing of hinges, locks and flush bolts?

Thanks in advance,

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Just about any carpentry shop. However...

  1. You won't get a "normal cylinder lock" into a 3/4" slab. Nor a normal deadbolt.
  2. A solid, glued up 3/4" door is going to warp like crazy.

What you need are doors at least 1 1/2" thick made with rails and stiles. If you want them to last, use rails & stiles at least 6" wide - wider is better - that are morticed together. A center rail too. To fill in the empty space you could use either a 3/4" floating panel or apply boards of whatever thickness to one side but they'd need some space between them.

If you want an authentic look for your Spanish style manse, have the doors made of "cedro" (Spanish cedar) and oil or varnish them. Go find a Mexican/Cuban carpenter in Hialeah, he'll fix you up. The bolts normally used on doors like you want are called "cane bolts".

Reply to
dadiOH

Sorry my bad, I meant to say 1-3/4" thickness.

MC

Reply to
nmbexcuse

Shouldn't be hard to find solid-core slab door. Whether you can find one rated for exterior use or not would be the hard part, probably. I have several I've bought from used/recycle/unclaimed freight types of places that I use for bench tops, etc. They're all veneered, of course, not solid lumber but they are solid, not hollow.

It shouldn't be at all hard to find a 2-panel exterior door at the same places which would be my suggestion if looking for the inexpensive solution.

Otherwise, I'd echo DadiOH's suggestion on material. However, I'd think in your area the other sources would have quite a lot of cypress and other suitable materials available as well.

--

Reply to
dpb

Given your problem I wouldn't hesitate to order a fiberglass door from one of the companies like ThermaTru. Not cheap, but they have a huge selection of styles, even some rather plain offerings. Corrosion resistant hardware should be no problem.

Good luck.

Joe.

Reply to
Joe