front door warping/sticking problem

Our front door (much glass in wooden frame) has always been a problem in Winter as it sticks in the frame somewhere at the bottom. I've tried re-hanging it and planeing (too) much off the bottom but it's never enough. If I carry on like this we'll be able to walk out through the gap :-) I don't think the door is dropping on the hinges - more like the wood is warping or the frame contracting

- or something! Soap is good temporary fix but a new door and frame is the real answer I suppose - but we can't manage that just now. Any suggestions as how I can do something to improve this would be much appreciated.

Reply to
i4x

The way to find out exactly where it is binding is to hold a piece of sandpaper with the rough side facing the door in position and closing it. This will tell you if it is binding at the lower side instead of the bottom. Keeping the paper there and shutting the door repeatedly will also alleviate the problem temporarily.

BTW when you planed the door did you reseal the cut edges? If you didn't then it would contribute to your problem. Finishes don't prevent movement but they do slow down moisture loss and gain, sometimes quite considerably. Leaving the edge unfinished will allow moisture unfettered access.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Either your house is moving, or your door is absorbing moisture. Since it happens in winter, I guess that fingers the moisture theory. Plane your door so it fits and then paint it gloss on every surface, including the underside. This ought to stop any more moisture ingress.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

Hi,

Epoxy would be less likely to rub off, and some graphite added will make it more slippery.

Also check the distance between the top edge of the door opposite the hinge and a point on the wall behind the hinge to tell if the frame is bowing seasonally.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Furniture wax worked okay on my garden gate.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I've used a candle before to good effect. Rub well onto the affected edges. The wax stays there longer than other lubricants and stops the edges binding.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Oliver