Kitchen coverup

Hi

I'm thinking of painting my existing Kitchen cupboards which ar currently a dark pine colour.

Just three questions this time (??!!) please......

  1. Do I need to use a knotting solution on the knots in the wood
  2. What pint shoudl I use and do I need to sand , prime and then paint
  3. Am i mad to do this - are the results good or does it usually loo like a botch job The only other alternative as far as my finances are concerend is t get replacement doors...but what with cornices, trims etc etc - eve this is expensive.

Be grateful for any advice

Ale

-- alexbartman

Reply to
alexbartman

In message , alexbartman writes

We painted the old '60's melamine faced doors in our kitchen, it was a success I think and has worn well.

Possibly not, but if you don't and some of them stain your new paintwork how pissed off will you be compared to the effort required to apply the knotting....

Depends on the finish you want, personally I don't like high gloss in this situation, we used Dulux Satinwood, which is an 'oil-based' mid sheen finish, for a 'flattter' finish you could use an Eggshell finish.

As they say preparation is the key, how good finish do you want?

I assume they are vanished/stained or similar? I tend to use Acrylic primer/undercoats a lot now anyway , so I would sand well (how well depends on the state of the existing surface, and smoothness of the timber. A couple of coats Primer/undercoat, and then topcoat - just like any other wood workwork really. It's worth denibbing with fine wet and dry in between coats on large areas like this.

The results are in your hands, the results can certainly look good, we've had plenty of compliments about ours.

Reply to
chris French

Snip

Chris has obviously spent the time and done his properly so it looks good. The other end of the scale however is what I have in my kitchen! Not done by myself but aquired from the previous owner of the place... no prep was done and the paint-job was poor, resulting in loads of runs, sagging and showing knots etc... Needless to say its getting ripped out and replaced in the spring! The bathroom tiles had also been painted... with the same results. That room has now been gutted though!

Gerry

Reply to
Cuprager

How old are these pine cupboards? Only, I'm thinking that if they haven't oozed resin from knots yet then they never will. In my experience of using pine, I've never had an problem with knots unless they are in direct sunshine. Usually then it's outdoors work that is a problem. Still, knotting's not a big deal, so do it anyway if you like.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

This used to be a popular way to treat old wood cabs decades back, and frankly it never looks too good.

Liming the pine would give you a quality style of finish, rather than a seriously cheapskate coverup.

NT

Reply to
bigcat