Spraying Preservative

Hi, I installed 3 fence panels in concrete posts about a month ago. I didn't paint them with preservative however after being told that I wouldn't have to for awhile. Now it is time, but I don't want to use a paint brush and take forever. Can I use a bucket of B&Q preservative with an electric spray gun. Or do I need to buy a bucket that's marked for use with a spray gun.

Thanks, bhads.

Reply to
bhads

Should be okay as long as you strain it before use. I wouldn't have waited though - if the panels are now damp they won't absorb as much preservative.

Reply to
Rob Morley

How long is "awhile"? A year or two?

Now come on, it's three panels, it will not take very long at all.

Read the tin and your electric sprayer instructions. I don't think you can buy fence preservatives in buckets, it would slosh all over the car on the way home.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

One of those pump up sprayers works well. Make sure you filter what you put in though or you will be unblocking the nozzel every five mins (DAMHIK!)

Reply to
John Rumm

I tried an electric gun once and it shook my hand to bits. I gave up after 1 panel, cleaned it and took it back. Then used a big pasting brush.

dg

Reply to
dg

wouldn't have

. . . .mmm I used one of those 'pump up' sprayers, and although it worked very well at the time, shortly after all the plastic valve bits and seals started swelling and jammed solid despite a very thorough clean out after spraying. I was spraying a Cuprinol preservative on a shed and it certainly made for a quick and effective job even though I bust the sprayer!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I got one from wicks for about 12 quid IIRC, sprayed cuprinol with it on the shed, and then did some other bits about a month or so later and it was still ok. Must admit I have not looked at that one lately though, I shall go have a look what state it is in!

Reply to
John Rumm