Conseratory polycarbonate roof question

Hi all,

We're deciding which options to go for on our self-build conservatory.

In order to make the conservatory as useable as possible during the cooler months we want to ensure that insulation is as good as possible. The window panels are to be K glass. I can't afford to have glass roof panels so my choice is from the polycarb range. The company which we will probably buy from does a 35mm pc roof with options for the pc to be clear; opal; bronze or opal + heatguard.

These finishes let progressively less light through thus decreasing solar gain which is clearly a good thing in the summer but not so good in the winter when I would imagine we want as much solar gain as possible.

I'm not sure how the various finishes effect how heat is retained by the roof ie does clear let more in and also let more out, will heatguard retain more heat at a time when perhaps a greater percentage of the heat in the conservatory is coming from the radiators anyway?

Conservatory is to be in white upvc and will face south.

Does anyone have any recommendations either way?

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
Army

We have a similar roof on our conservatory and found it too hot in Summer so we fitted Solar strips which fit into the recesses of the roof panels. Works a treat and reflects the heat in summer and conserves the heat in winter. Obtained from Email: snipped-for-privacy@polycool.co.uk Incidentally I fitted it myself- quite easy after you get the knack. Also it is very important to get the correct width for your recesses. Quite expensive but worth every penny! Regards Blair

Reply to
Blair

Hi Blair,

I had a look at

They look quite interesting and not too expensive. I bet it took quite a while to fit them all. Was your original roof opal heatguard? How did you find it in the winter?

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
Army

It took some hours to fit the first one but once we mastered the technique it was complete within a day. Our roof was triple skinned and white opaque. In winter it was definitely warmer but of course on really cold days it was not warm enough to sit without heating being applied. Blair

Reply to
Blair