Speaker remote control

Would it be possible to use a remotely controlled light dimmer switch (NOT wired in to lighting circuit) as a remote volume control for powered PC speakers?

Tia,

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

The short answer is - no.

Google how dimmers work.

Reply to
RubberBiker

Cicero explained :

Not any chance at all.

One solution, which I have on my knee right now, is a wireless keyboard. Most of these have volume up/down/mute (plus many others) keys and if you get a 2.4GHz version it should work at 10m range. Some combine (as mine does) a both wireless keyboard and wireless mouse set.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

No. They work on a completely different principle (not like the variable resistor that you appear to be expecting).

I wouldn't recommend trying to adjust PC speaker volume with a variable resistor at the speaker end anyway. The amps aren't designed to handle it.

Reply to
mick

===================================

Thanks, all, for such succinct replies!

A wireless keyboard and mouse isn't an acceptable solution for my purpose. I'm putting together a package using two set top boxes - Virgin Cable / Satellite Freeview. Both of these are to play through two separate TV tuner cards in a spare PC. Everything is going to plan except that the remote control on the Virgin box doesn't operate the PC volume control; the satellite box remote does, but only one box will be switched on at a time. I'm looking for a more compact way than a wireless keyboard to solve the problem, hence my enquiry about remote switches.

I'll take another look at the cabling as this appears to be where the problem lies.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

No.

IIRC, Vellerman do a remote controlled attenuator. Or perhaps Jaycar.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for the information - filed for possible future use.

Extensive 'mixing and matching' with various cables finally produced the required result.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero