Looking for a specific type of mains switch.

I'm not sure what it's called but I will try and describe it's description & function .

A standard approx 85mm square white plastic surround, to screw into a standard wall box. Has a 3 position switch, centre off, momentary action, what I would call "press to make, release to break". Press up to make a contact, press down to make another contact. (change over) Spring release to centre off position. Or possibly two buttons mechanicaly connected. This is required to manualy open and close a motorised vent.

It's difficult to search without a name for this type of switch. Cheers Don

Reply to
Donwill

Would a "three position toggle switch" on a standard plate do the job. The only other thing I can think of is a "three position rocker switch", which can be got for modular switch plates.

Reply to
BigWallop

If I'd read the post until I understood it properly, then I would also have said that a "Single or Double Pole, Double Throw Switch" will also do the job you want.

I get there, slowly, but I get there. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

centre off, momentary action. I'm doubtful you'll find them in standard domestic accessory style though.

NT

Reply to
NT

In message , Donwill wrote

The term you want are probably

Rocker Switch DPDT Double Pole Double Throw SPDT Single Pole Double Throw Centre Off MOM or Momentary to get the spring action centre off

You may just find the switches which you could fit to a standard cheap blanking plate.

A Google search for "rocker switch dpdt mom" will get you things like:

Reply to
Alan

centre off, momentary action. I'm doubtful you'll find them in standard domestic accessory style though.

NT

Try finding the type of switch used to lower projection (home cinema screens) Try an Audio Video installer

John

centre off, momentary action. I'm doubtful you'll find them in standard domestic accessory style though.

Seen on a forum

Re: Electric projector screen switch

I have seen proper three way switches at Home Depot as well (momentary on) they are spring loaded so they only give power when pressed up or down otherwise they stay in the center position.

Reply to
John

Your best bet for a fuller flavour:

will need:

1 off K3631 WHI Cover plate 1 off K3701 Grid 1 off K4900 WHI Switch

Note: The switch is rated 250V AC 10A

HTH

Reply to
Dave Osborne

momentary action, or centre biased - or similar combinations of words would make good search terms.

I'm sure I've seen such things on conventional mains wiring faceplates

- but very rarely.

Actually - I've found what you want in the modular MK Logic range:

RubberBiker

John formulated the question :

a wired garage door control. There are always a few on ebay.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Fleeting or non latching. Basically the same as a car electric window switch?

I'd be surprised if you can get one already in a standard plate easily - but you could buy the switch itself from RS components etc and fit it to a blank plate of your choice.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you know, I have been beating my brains out all night, thinking of where I have had and used that sort of switch all night. Obvious, isn't it?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Other common use on some older cars was to operate an 'electric' aerial - before these became largely automatic.

There's a fair range of this sort of switch available from car wiring parts suppliers - but they only give its LV DC rating. I'd guess many would be happy with mains.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Many thanks for all the info, you can always rely on good old uk.d-i-y. Have now ordered from TLC. Cheers Don

Reply to
Donwill

We have one controlling the lighting in a meeting room at work. Flicking up toggles one light, flicking down toggles the other. No idea why they decided to wire it like that, and it confuses the hell out of people.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Thinking on, I have seem 'normal' electrical ones like this. For dimmable fluorescents. Press one way for up, one way for down. Used in conjunction with a master switch for that area.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)