Spammed by Screwfix?

Page 1 of 7
For those DIYers who buy from Screwfix:
You might like to be aware of their spam policy, which I have found out to my cost. I am intending to issue legal action for recovery of my invoice amount.
After the first spam incident, I wrote to them pointing out that I had not authorised their sending of junkmail and that although no charge would be made this time, any future use (by them) of my storage would be charged out at £50 plus VAT per incident. Then they spammed me again which is why I issued an invoice. Subsequently I have been chasing payment.......
I received the following letter:
I write following your telephone calls chasing the payment of your speculative invoice. Although we are not obliged at all to your invoice, statement of account or telephone calls, given your persistence with this matter, I am writing to finally confirm that we will not be making any payment to you.
There has been no breach by us of any legislation in force at the time that the marketing emails were sent and you are now suppressed on our database so no further marketing emails will be sent to you.
Although we are under a duty to to process "opt-out" requests reasonably promptly, we are not required to immediately suppress a customer's email details, and indeed it would be unreasonable to be so required.. As we use a third party mailing house to deal with our email marketing campaigns, there naturally will be some emails which are sent during the period between the opt-out request being received by us and it being processed.
I gather that you have mentioned the new legislation which comes into force on 11 December 2003 although I am puzzled how this will bolster your case given that it is not retrospective. Even once the new legislation is in force, we will continue to send email marketing to our customers without their explicit prior consent ('opt-in'). The new regime allows us to send marketing emails which relate to the same or similar products to those purchased (i.e. in the case of Screfix Direct, our entire range) so long as we offer a no-cost opportunity to 'opt-out' from receiving future e-mailings. In any event the new legislation relates only to personal (not business) email addresses, and your business' email address would therefore not be afforded the new protection.
I trust that this now puts an end to this matter, and would request that you cease from any further chasing for payment of your invoice. However, you are, of course free to seek legal advice regarding your complaint and if you feel minded to issue legal proceedings, as you have threatened, please ensure they are served on us at our registered office address below, marked for my attention.
Yours sincerely
Richard MacNamara Company Secretary
HO reception +44 1935 414100
I am committed to the Boulder Pledge, which states that I will not buy anything from a spammer. Sad really, because they have a good range.
βœ–
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

Hmmm...
I'm generally very spam intolerant, but I don't think screwfix are in the wrong here.
The mere fact that they bothered to reply to you is indicative of their overall superb customer service.
By the way, did you get their permission before publishing that letter here?
--
Grunff

Add pictures here
βœ–

First off:
The letter belongs to whomsoever it was sent to. The recipient can do what he wishes with it.
In this country it is illegal to hold information about anyone on computer without the person's knowledge. I am not sure it is a matter of gaining consent though.
No one is allowed to send spam in the name of good service surely? What exactly are the laws of this land on that; anyone know?

βœ–

Your knowlege of copyright is sadly lacking.

Your knowlege of the Data Protection Act is similarly lacking.

No.
Yes, but they change in a few days time.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Add pictures here
βœ–

Ooops, try again...

Add pictures here
βœ–

I do. Spam is spam. Spam is theft. Spam is more noise added to the already terrible email signal/noise ratio.
Fortunately, they spam from a specific address, different to the one the order confirmations come from, so the first time it happened, I merely added them to my reject list.
βœ–
Huge wrote:

But would you stop using them just because it took them a few weeks to opt you out?
I have a very tough policy for dealing with suppliers - if they piss me off, even once, they go on my blacklist. Life's too short.
But if I used possible spam as a selection criterion, my list would grow very quickly and I'd soon run out of suppliers.
As for your assertion that 'spam is spam' - do you really mean that? Is an email from screwfix, whom you've ordered from in the past and are currently on their customer db, the same as spam from some company you've never heard of offering to increase your site traffic by 500%, or to enlarge your member by a similar percentage? To me they are quite different.
--
Grunff

Add pictures here
βœ–

That was not the complaint. The complaint was that they spammed me twice in defiance of my original instruction not to do so. Evan after the first time they spammed me, I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

So do I, it's called the Boulder Pledge.

Disagree. Most reputable companies wouldn't dream of behaving like that.

Spam is theft, spam is spam.

And have specifically told they do not have my permission to spam me.

Is it unsolicited?
Is it bulk or commercial?
Is it email?
Then it is UBE / UCE aka spam. Have you any idea what the spam load would be like if just one mailing was sent out by each business in just one country? Would you be happy to be deluged by that?
βœ–

In my case, yes.
I've never given my email address to Screwfix, nor have I had email from them. If they ever did send me some, it would have been from purchasing a list, and that's a hanging offence on my mailer.
Axminster OTOH do have my email address (for I once ordered on-line, before abandoning it to go back to the phones). They spam me regularly, and I wish they didn't. But in the current vague environment, I'm prepared to give an existing supplier some leeway for cluelessness, rather than assuming evil spammerhood. I'd even prefer it if they'd just get a damned clue and not send me emails that are unreadable in plain text.
So broadly I'd have to agree with you. It's an annoyance (do they really _want_ to annoy customers ?), but I'll put up with it. One step further though, and they're off my Xmas card list - I reaqlly don;t want companies to think that "spam is OK"
This morning I had 10 offers for a "cleaner colon". Now that's _real_ spam.
βœ–

I'd have to think about it. I don't normally do business with spammers, but I was a Screwfix customer *before* they spammed me, and I'm not sure I would want to go back to not using them.

Depends. Editing /etc/postfix/reject takes 30 seconds. OTOH, I have sacked suppliers from $2M maintainance contracts for being completely crap.

The content is irrelevant. They are both unsolicited commercial email, which I have had to pay for to have delivered.
βœ–

a) The "Do not spam me" button on the wevsite was selected.
b) They spammed me anyway.
c) They were told again not to and that I would look to recover my costs of reporting them to their upstream, clearing the crap from my system and incorporating spamblocked.com filtering etc in the event of a repeat.
d) They ignored me and spammed me again.

Indicative only of the fact that I told them I was intending to issue legal action. As you saw, they also believe that it is perfectly reasonable to continue to spam regardless.

They have been warned that any communications will be used in whatever manner I choose, including publishing in the newspapers if need be. So far the local paper has taken an interest, although I intend to offer the story to a national too. I need to find out how that may affect a court case first though. It should make an interesting test case!
βœ–
<snip>

story
I fail to see how warning someone that their reply will be published, yet requiring a reply is fair. They have not expressly given their permission for publishing of the mail. Had they not replied, you would then get annoyed at them for that!
βœ–

They were told specifically NOT to spam me. They then did it twice, despite my warning. Pot, kettle, black?
βœ–
AJL put in his post:

Ang about, aren't these a form SPAMS?
Aren't you advertising your business?
Mike P.
Add pictures here
βœ–
That's called a signature. Your software is supposed to snip anything after the delimiter "dash dash space". Check the RFCs for info about sig files.
βœ–

after
Its still downloaded and wastes bandwidth (at least, that's what people who complain about short adverts in newsgroups claim about the posts)... ;) Whilst a reader may strip it - it still displays it - else what's the point of it being there if we can't see it?
βœ–
It only wastes bandwidth when it isn't trimmed from replies. It is a known bug that Mickeysoft products don't do this automatically.
βœ–
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

I wasn't going to get involved in the sig debate - I don't have a problem with your sig - but it does actually waste bandwidth every time a message is downloaded.
--
Grunff

Add pictures here
βœ–

It's allowable within the constitution of the newsgroup to add a "short" advert to the sig. Personally I choose not to, but I don't see why other people shouldn't if they wish
--
geoff

Add pictures here
βœ–

So if my "software is supposed to snip anything after the delimiter" why do you put it there then?

βœ–