Soundproofing flats?

Just moved in to a new flat, and I was pretty surprised the other night just how much sound comes from down stairs.. While we are in the process of making the place liveable, is there anything I can do to reduce this noise? Apart from wrapping the person downstairs in bubble wrap?
Cheers

If it is a conversion with hollow floors then you can raise your floors lay a tray of 1 to 2" sand. or lay high density mineral wool and don't leave gaps.

It would help if you gave the construction - conversion, suspended wooden floors, solid concrete etc.
If it's a *new* flat, IIRC there are now noise insulation regs.
--
*When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in? *

Then you're reading the wrong posts. ;-) Try again - to effectively sound proof you need to add mass. It's be covered many many times.
--
*Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them *