Someone was looking for a hovel

Saw something smaller, albeit with better access but bugger all land go for about 15k in the mid 80's.

It was still derelict last time I looked maybe five years ago. Only difference is some of the wall stone and a few stone slates have walked.

Reply to
The Other Mike

That would be because it was on ebay

Owain

Which side of the A1 will (would) the new motorway go (have gone)? What's the CPO valuation?

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

In message , The Other Mike writes

I spent £150,000 on a bit of sandy beach today ...

Reply to
geoff

Hope the beach was worth it.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"The Vendors reserve the right for the Auctioneers to bid on their behalf up to the reserve."

So the usual scam where the auctioneer makes phoney bids to force the price up. Saw this on IIRC "Homes Under The Hammer" a while back. The auctioneer led some spirited bidding but ended up with the winning bid with him. At which point he said they would have to start again. This is so bent that I am amazed that it is still legal.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

That section has already been upgraded, so unlikely, in the next 20 years, to have further lanes added to it.

Reply to
A.Lee

That's 2 and a bit beach huts in Southwold!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Wind back 30 years and there was a set of traffic lights not far from there that closed the A1 four times a day as cattle were moved beween a field and the milking sheds.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Has it? These cottages are north of Leeming. I thought the recently opened section was Leeming south to Dishforth...

to Barton (Scotch Corner) is Phase 2 and is still at consultation stage...

Dave Liquorice

Google maps satellite view shows the construction work in progress up to J51 on the A1(M) which is where the A1 leaves the line of Dere Street heading south around Leeming/Leeming Bar. There is no sign of construction work past these cottages. And I don't think even an estate agent would get the designation of the road wrong A1 v A1(M).

Building an access road might be easier than expected, Using Streetmaps

1:25000 mapping "Crank Lane" is marked running from Little Fencote to within 250m of the site. The satellite view shows the two side hedges still in place. There might be fun with vechicle access along a Public Footpath, not sure what the rules say about private access along a Public Footpath.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

it, the bend around Leeming Bar, and AFAICR, it carries on further.

Reply to
A.Lee

But they are slowly making all the bad ones better.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

No, that section is still 2 lane dual carriageway, the 3 lane motorway ends a couple of miles south.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

The point of a reserve price is? (I'll let you google that one.)

It does seem a strange way of doing it, but if you want the property you are going to have to pay at least the reserve price, so you do not lose out.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Nothing bent about it at all.

Essentially a reserve price is a bid by the actual owner lodged with the auctioneer.

Unless the actual vendor reduces the reserve price.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That section north of Leeming is the same its been for many years. All the roundabouts and a lot of the minor roads were removed in the 1980's which sped things up a bit (I think that will be when that hovel lost its access to the main road) Upgrading to three lane motorway standard foillowed in the late 90's but there are a few stretches in Yorkshire that are still 2 lane A road standard, often very twisty and with appalling sight lines - there is one bit near Wentbridge that is a downhill 70mph into a blind corner with a footpath crossing the carriageway. I've seen people use it too!

The stretch from the M62 to the M18 can be a f*cking nightmare, well overdue for a proper upgrade to flatten it out and remove all those corners, minor roads and inadequate sliproads. I guess it will never happen now as 'we can't afford it'

Reply to
The Other Mike

As there are on the A1 not in Yorkshire.

ISTM that the worst part of the A1 is at Elkesley (to which I think Adam has already referred), where there are still gaps in the central res to facilitate right turns off of the road from the fast lane.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

There's a 50 limit on that section isn't there for just that reason? I'd rather have the gaps closed though...

Reply to
Clive George

The fast lane there being legally a bit slower than most of the A1 as it is a 50 limit and the area is plastered with speed cameras.

At least a vehicle is relatively easy to see, a pedestrian, stepping from the central reservation into outside lane traffic travelling at 70mph+ far less so.

Reply to
The Other Mike