This is how someone with a degree......

....locks a gate.

I've always said that academic capability does not demonstrate intelligence.

Reply to
R D S

Like er what's up with it?

Obviously he lost the key to a previous padlock and used what was available after liberating the lock with the lost key.

Although the new lock looks high security and might well be. the application isn't. If it's for a gate it will be to deter rather than actively stop people.

A tool would be needed to remove the lock. A good heave would suffice no doubt on the other side.

It just takes a little thought.

Did you vote for Brexit?

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Art or science graduate?

Reply to
Graham.

I think he's trying to suggest that the hasp and lock should be fitted to the top loop as the lower one has already been weakened by being cut (as you have observed).

But it might (now) be *easier* to remove from the bottom loop than the top?

Or with the body of the padlock sitting out on the hasp when on the top loop, it might be easier to remove with a hammer than when on the bottom?

The problem is that the hasp was welded to the gate so not easy to replace now 'damaged'.

I have access though a gate with a similar hasp because whilst the padlock is strong enough to resist anyone without some tools, it's not big enough to stop you threading the bolt loop over the top of the (locked) padlock <doh>.

I don't suppose 'most people' would think to try as they would assume it was locked.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I use a sprung hook, bought from Lidl. I only use it when departing home for weeks.

I was the last to leave work today, I tied the rope on the gate when departing.

Security systems such as that are still in operation in rural Ireland.

Bliss!

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

I don't understand the photo. I'm guessing that the padlock is in a bracket fixed to the gate. The handle of the bolt is bent up into a hook which is begind the fixed part, preventing the bolt from being slid to the right. When the padlock is removed, the hooked handle can be rotated up by 90 degrees so that the hook is now clear of the bracket and can be slid open.

I don't see how it could be rotated up without the padlock being removed. So how would the intelligent OP have installed the padlock?

Reply to
Dave W

It looks as if someone has used an angle grinder to cut through the lower loop in an effort to remove the padlock. It's not obvious from the photo that the bolt is still not in the locked position.

Reply to
alan_m

The lock would normally work well in either hole but the bottom one has clearly been previously attacked. It wouldn?t take much to just twist the lock and bend the cut loop enough to remove the lock.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Well cannot obviously see that. However let me say this. I do not have any qualifications at all, yet Racal always sent graduates recently hired to spend a few days with me. Need I go into details? It has little to do with intelligence its applying knowledge and common sense which is not enforced. its rather like the Police. They go to Hendon and come back thick. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes probably no match for a stolen Range rover ramming it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

But I think it is. The wear mark on the gate shows the bolt to be fully extended to the left, and you can just make out the 'hook' through the round gap below the padlock shank. Apart from the loop being cut through (but not sufficient to remove the padlock), I don't see what's seriously wrong. It very much depends on how important it is to keep the gate locked. It might have been better to use the upper loop, but the gate is still locked by the padlock and opening that gap further to remove the padlock would require serious effort. Unless the crown jewels are on the other side of the gate (in which case just climb over it) I see no problem.

But then, I have a degree...

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I'd say it was cut with bolt croppers.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

neither can I

he seems to have removed his picture and sulked away

tim

Reply to
tim...

No, but you need to make sure your newsreader/browser combination doesn't chop off the trailing hyphen from the URL

Andy Burns

Optometry.

Reply to
R D S

Not at all!

Reply to
R D S

It perhaps wasn't clear, given some of the followups. I was trying to inject a little humour. Tough crowd!*

Anyway, In locking the gate one has the choice of having the hasp(?) upwards and then the padlock could go through the intact hoop,

Rather than downwards and have the padlock on the compromised broken hoop.

*I'l get my coat :)
Reply to
R D S

True, but if you're going to use that much force then any configuration could be defeated. I wondered if the bottom hole had been deliberately cut and bent to fit the padlock closely. With the padlock in the original large hole it might have been possible to twist it sideways sufficiently for the bolt hook to be slipped over it.

Reply to
Dave W

Once cut, it would take a lot less force to deform the loop than to break it. A large screwdriver inserted through the hasp of the padlock would probably provide enough leverage to twist the cut ring open enough to remove the lock.

Why would you weaken a bolt to make it much more insecure?

You?re making no sense whatsoever.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+
<snip>

I described this elsewhere (but the chances are still not relevant to this issue as if the padlock was small enough to leapfrog it would likely been as easy to cut though as the hasp itself, if they wanted to fit a lock that couldn't be leapfrogged).

Next doors back gate has a small padlock on the same design hasp and at first inspection looks secure. However, you can easily limbo the bolt loop over / around the lock, rendering it useless.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m