Scottish man cuts hedges with a lawnmower

The bizarre moment an Alloa man decided to trim his hedges with a lawnmower.

The video, filmed on Ashley Terrace in Alloa, shows the man - who seems like he doesn't have a care in the world - picking up the large grass-cutter outside his home and tackling the hedges.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

UR the Daily Record's clickbait manager, &ICMFP

Reply to
Graham.

What's bizarre or hilarious about that? Seems a perfectly sensible quick trimming of a straggly hedge without having the bother of getting out a more suitable tool.

Reply to
Dave W

+1 I've also found the lawn mower, albeit a spinning blade petrol model, to be a good alternative to a shredder. Just pile up a heap of soft prunings on the grass and raise the front of the mower as the heap is traversed.
Reply to
alan_m

It?s a lightweight electric mower, the hedge isn?t particularly high, it?s a tool that he has. Not ideal but if I didn?t have a hedge trimmer I?d probably try the same.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

If you look around in the countryside, you can often see a JCB fitted with a grass cutter like appendage mounted vertically to cut back hedges where there is no footway. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

until your hand slips and you lose it ....tee hee

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

stop making excuses....he is a cut the corners scottish scheme scumbag .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

In message <qkt0vl$q31$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> writes

A circular saw blade can be used instead of the more usual flail head on tractor mounted hedge trimmers.

Useful for taking down branches from long neglected hedges.

Nice finish to trimmed hedges but 'king slow.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

So what. We used to do that for years before strimmers came along.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Our next door neighbour had a hedge trimmer which worked the same way: a flat spinning, lawn-mower-type blade inside a housing. It had a fat hose which fed the clippings into a bag, possibly with a suction fan which helped them on their way.

OK it was designed for the job, which a hover mower isn't, but what this chap is doing is not as daft as it looks.

Reply to
NY

There is a youtube clip of a septic using a ride-on lawnmower to trim the top of his conifer hedge.

Lawnmower was suspended from a multi-purpose agricultural loader by straps.

Reply to
Andrew

Makes short work of all those overhead fibre optic cables too :-)

Reply to
Andrew

:-) I did once *find* a stay cable for an 11kV overhead corner post.

The repair team were very kind and didn't send me a bill.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I see nothing wrong with the concept, its gone on for years via a lawn mower appendage on a jcb mounted vertically where hedges need cutting and there is no pavement. Works very well but some poor sod has to follow clearing up the mess of course!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In fact I've cut the top of my hedge with a Flymo, because my neighbours don't thin down their side, and the total width has grown more than my hedge cutter can reach easily. The other way is to mount the trimmer on a board which rests on the nearest part of the hedge, and I can slide the whole arrangement over to cut the complete top.

Reply to
Dave W