soil bosses

Hi,

I see there are two types of boss available:

Something that straps around the pipe like this:

some thing that fits into the pipe like this:
presume the first type is useful when you are adding a connection to an existing pipe and don't want the hassle of dismantling the pipe to insert another section but otherwise are there any advantages/disadvantages to using either type?

I've not used either before. Is it just a case of using a hole saw to cut out the hole and use a washer to make the joint watertight?

Do you cut one hole for all pipe sizes or do you cut a 32mm for 32mm pipe, 40mm hole for 40mm pipe etc?

I've seen washers for 32 and 40mm connections but what about 50mm? Is the boss 50mm wide? Do you just solvent weld 50mm pipe and not need an insert?

And why are they called bosses, I thought they were people you worked for ;)

TIA

Reply to
Fred

Fred wibbled on Wednesday 07 July 2010 14:18

"2nd is better if you can.

Yes - there are at least 2 standards: Marley, where you solvent weld an adaptor in to suit the pipe size. Floplast use one of 3 rubber bungs to adapt to 50/40/32mm

I cut the biggest I can.

Yes - 50 exists, though is sometimes slightly harder to get. Either Screwfix of BES IIRC.

No, the soil pipe version are more useful...

Reply to
Tim Watts

>>> and some thing that fits into the pipe like this:

>>> I presume the first type is useful when you are adding a connection to

And only one is full of shit all the time...

Reply to
Bob Minchin

> and some thing that fits into the pipe like this:

> I presume the first type is useful when you are adding a connection to

The strap on ones are harder to use (since you need to drill the pipe side), but have the advantage of being retrofitted when required, and also in non standard places.

Holesaw (or fly/tank cutter) and some solvent weld adhesive usually. By "washer" do you mean the "bung" that reduces the size of the boss to the pipe in question?

Cut something that will not leave an edge for crud to catch on - i.e. one that matches the hole!

It varies - each manufacturer tends to have subtly different sizes of boss. Some use rigid PVC adaptors, some rubbery etc.

"boss2 noun (bosses) 1 a round raised knob or stud on a shield, etc, usually for decoration. 2 archit a round raised decorative knob found where the ribs meet in a vaulted ceiling. 3 mech a thickened part of a shaft, to allow the attachment of other parts, or for strengthening. verb (bosses, bossed, bossing) to ornament something with bosses. bossed adj embossed, or ornamented with bosses. ETYMOLOGY: 14c: from French boce."

Reply to
John Rumm

Lol!

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks for your reply. I've learnt a lot.

Yes, sorry, I didn't know the proper name for it.

And I guess this is a raised bit on the soil pipe, so it makes sense.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Fred