Soil Stack Boss Identification

Soil stack in the corner of the kitchen.

Photos -

The rubber washer in the boss has been crushed meaning I can no longer make a good seal. I've tried a couple of other washers but neither are giving a good seal (the usual soil pipe smells telling me it isn't air tight). Does anybody recognise the make so I can try and source a replacement washer?

My only other alternative would be to add a boss which would reduce the amount of height to play with for sink wastes etc.

Reply to
Kevin H

Have you tried just putting it in very hot water to see if it recovers its shape?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yes, tried that. No noticable difference sadly...

Reply to
Kevin H

Kevin H pretended :

Have you tried boiling it in a pan of hot water for a few minutes, they usually regain their original shape?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Looks like Marley, but they have changed the style of their seals since my house was built in 1976

Reply to
Andrew

The house was built in '95. The local plumbers merchant has drawn a blank with getting a replacement. They did suggest that I put it back in as best I could and glued it and the pipe in. I might give that a try before cutting a hole for a new boss as the current boss will need sealing up anyway (so nothing to lose).

Need to find a suitable adhesive. Was thinking about something like this:

Kevin H

Assuming the grey pipe is a push fit it in the bit of of brown/orange flexible pipe at the bottom with a non-visible bit of plain pipe joining the boss to the brown pipe, the easiest thing would be to cut the grey pipe a foot or two above the boss and use a push-fit or solvent weld coupler to connect in a whole new section of pipe with a suitable boss at the bottom to duplicate the whole fitting with a modern version.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Or, if the leak is where the white pipe goes into the grey boss then the simplest fix will be to wrap that joint with stretched PVC tape. May be a bit awkward given the proximity of the wall but should be possible. It does not have to look nice.

Reply to
newshound

Or simply fill any gaps with silicone or expanding foam

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher