How to seal new plastic soil stack to old cast iron stack

having installed a gf wc, I'm fitting a new plastic soil stack. The old cast iron stack terminates about 2 foot below ground level, so rather than do it proproperly, and dig out, which could be one hell of a job, i've decided to leave a stub of 6" cast iron pipe protruding above gl. and join the plastic pipe to it.

The plastic sleeve is slightly larger diameter, and-fits snugly over the outside of the cast-iron, There is a 1mm gap to make watertight. Since the cast iron from below ground terminates on the inside, there is a lip, which is liable to catch any falling waste.

What is the best way to seal this junction which won't be accessible again for 50 years , and taper out the lip? What sticks to plastic? Thoughts: Putty mixed with gloss paint; Silicone sealant; grease; Plastic solvent glue, soft rubber fitting with circlips, other?

Brill group!

Thanks, Tony

Reply to
tonyjeffs

Couple of suitable O rings and plenty of Silicon Mastic. Flaunch the base properly with cement

Go to a decent plumber's merchant and buy the correct coupler for this job.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you are really sure you'll never want to get them apart again you could use Isopon or some other similar car body filler from Halfords. Several years ago I had to fit a plastic inspection point to a broken earthenware soil pipe. I used Isopon to build up the break to a level surface, and then more Isopon to fit the plastic to it. Seems to be ok with no leaks.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

=A0 London SW

It is pointless botching a joint that is not failsafe ie with the plastic inside rather than out Chris

Reply to
mail

You'll be wanting one of these then

TMC