Slate edging tool

Does anyone know of anything that will produce the weathered edge on roofing slate.I vaguely recall hearing of slate snips. Angle grinder cuts don't look right. I'm looking for a quicker alternative to a 5yr apprenticeship in a Welsh slate quarry.

Thanks

mark b

Reply to
mark b

One of those one sided files with individual teeth on will do a decent job. Sorry don't know the proper name.

Reply to
EricP

Support the edge close to the edge of an anvil. (Steel bar, back of an axe stuck in large log, bucket of a JCB -that sort of thing.)

Chip along it with a hand axe or bill-hook. You only need to do the bottom half of one face.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

You need a proper slate cutter: looks vaguely like a large tough pair of pliers or tin snips from a distance (they are around 12inches long). Around a 10 to 15gbp IIRC. It's easy to cut slate with these and they produce a correctly chamfered edge finish. I bought mine from a local dealer in new & reclaimed slates. Look in yellow pages for roofing merchants - (also you might find them in a builders merchant which deals a lot with roofing). Even if they don't sell them, it's always worth asking where you can get one.

You'll find you get the knack of using them after only a few cuts, after that there's very little waste.

The cutter has a built in holer too. When I do a roof with a new size of slate I make a simple template jig out of a joist offcut & rest the cutter upside down in a groove cut in it, then slide the slate in to a timber stop nailed onto the joist & the nail holes are the correctly positioned.

Worth its weight in gold compared with messing about trying to saw slates with a masonry saw.

BTW always use with gloves - spikes of slate are acutely painful buried in your skin. HTH

Reply to
jim_in_sussex

Thanks guys.

Just a bit of feedback for anyone who is interested:

Did a bit of research and found a site which sells slater's axes and slate snips

I have ordered some snips.

mark b

Reply to
mark b

Surform?

Reply to
Steve Walker

Dreadnought. It's a curved tooth rasp, rather than a file. Some are double sided.

Another tool that will do it is a carbide "tile file"

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Sir

I have piles of welsh slate and have been using it in some building work. The way I cut it is with a bricklayers trowel. Put the slate on a hard edge (7N block in my case) and slice alon the edge with the trowel.

If you goto the mines and watch the demo, they use a piece of metal as the edge, and a machetie like thing as the slicer.

My roofer has a sisor like device, but it would not do the thick slates I have on my roof.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Im with the axe and steel edge. Thats how I was taught about 30 years ago, little boys axe thingy works best!!

Reply to
Dave Brook