sink waste pipe

But you can get this type of trap:
http://www.buybypost.com/itm00486.htm

Yup. But could you couple a pipe to the sink waste without some form of trap? I've never seen the bits to do it.
--
*When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds.*

What about the knuckle or running adaptors for use with HepV0 'traps'? Ah - but they then provide another thread at the other end... Oh well.
In the large changing rooms in my old school there was a long line of basins with the wastes simply falling into an open trough. I am pretty sure that they did not have any form of trap.
Rod

They wouldn't need one. The trap would be between the trough and the drain.
--
*Middle age is when work is a lot less fun - and fun a lot more work.

Dave,
Indeed - that was my point. They did have something connecting a length of waste pipe to the actual waste in the basins - which I think is what the previous posts concerned.
Rod

Right. But that sounds like a *very* old installation - I'm talking about bits you could buy from a shed or PM.
I'm actually curious as to whether it could be done easily, as I can imagine a situation where having the trap remote from the basin could be an advantage.
--
*If you don't pay your exorcist you get repossessed.*

I think a standard 32mm pipe fits inside most basin waste gratings and the compression nut also fits the thread. So it should be possible to fit the pipe inside the waste fitting and tighten an ordinary nut around it, that would let you use a running trap somewhere else along the pipework.

Yes - rather old - but I thought the system might still be in use in such communal facilities.

Being (slightly) more awake today, the HepV0 descriptions do show traps in all sorts of rather unusual positions which would require a length of waste pipe connected to the basin waste. So there must be some way - and maybe BW is right about how?
Rod
On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 16:33:31 GMT, BigWallop wrote:

<http://www.hepworthplumbing.co.uk/hepwasteprod7.htm look like the proper fittings for the job.
For kitchen sink wastes, B+Q have a waste kit that moves the trap to the back of the cupboard, which is useful.