Shed base repairs

I need to repair part of the framework for my shed as the existing structure at the base of one side has completely rotted away.

above photo shows the extent of the mess. On the left, just in front of the yellow board, is a concrete floor - and I need to extend this to the right side pillar - though I only need a sufficient width to lay a 3" wide joist on. This addition won't be structural inasmuch as the shed wall is supported on the two iron uprights left and right of the photo, but it obviously needs to keep the rain from getting in under the shed and act as a solid base for a new framework

I thought about boxing in the missing base section and infilling with concrete - but that seems like overkill. Any suggestions? The ground is loose chalk, if that's important.

Cheers,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Personally I'd remove dead timer to a height of around 8". Add a box about 4" wide inside along the length of the shed. Fill box with ballast type cement and let dry then add a scaffold board to the shed base after repairing the uprights with some light angle steel. Put a new length of shiplap over the board from the existing layers to allow water to run off it The scaff board will be a sort of barge board and last much longer than the shiplap near the base. Seal the bottom edge with frame sealant and jobs a good un,

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to work out how much cement I'll need. I'm replacing the whole front, frame and all - and lining it with exterior ply ( with insulation in the cavity ), over which I'll shiplap.

Cheers,

Reply to
Stephen Howard