Shed Base

Hi. I have ordered a metal shed thats 1.5m square. I don't want to dig up the paving stones to build a concrete base so I'm going to use decking joists and boards. I also think its an ok idea to buy extra joist lengths to screw down on top of the decking platform to provide extra headroom.

Anyone got any suggestions/warnings on this idea?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

Why not use the paving stones as the base - do you really need a wooden floor? You can still raise the shed on joists if you want extra height.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks, Roger. I thought about slabs but I probably won't keep the shed permanently. If I build a removable base from the decking timbers then I can take the shed down and the base can be lifted as a unit when I sell it in the future.

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

But I assumed that you already had paving stones in place - the ones you said you didn't want to dig up?

Reply to
Roger Mills

yes. But there is some slope to the surface.

Reply to
Arthur 51

You'll need to make sure that it's well anchored to the ground as per the assembly instructions, otherwise it is likely to blow away.

I put a 10x8 metal shed up last year and wanted to avoid laying joists and boards, which would have lost a lot of head room inside the shed. I put down 2 layers of pond liner topped with Sterling board cut to fit the base. The pond liner was cut large so that it not only gives a waterproof base, but also goes up some centimetres up the inside of the shed walls so that water can't encroach from outside. Anchor bolts attach the shed to the original concrete slab it sits on.

Reply to
OG

I've never done more that rest sheds on beeares on brick or concrete slabs.

In 50 years never had one blow away.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Wooden sheds are usually heavy enough to stay put. Tin ones may not be!

Reply to
Roger Mills