homebrew degreasant

What with a very oily engine sitting on the bench awaiting clean up, thought I'd ask - are there any good 'homebrew' recipes for liquid degreasant?

I used to really like Gunk, but you can't get it on this side of the Atlantic, and I've not been able to find any brush-on equivalent (the Goop paste seems to work really well for hands, and I found something-or-other in a spray can at the store yesterday which I've yet to try, but some brush-on stuff ala Gunk would be nice)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Jules saying something like:

Biodiesel.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I have vague recollections of my father using paraffin and a paint brush on his old motorcycle engine although I can't remember whether he added anything, though I think not.

Reply to
Keith W

Assume you're Stateside?

See

have used Jeyes Fluid in past but haven't had need for years; whether current formualtion is up to job I'm not certain.

Reply to
Gel

Hmm, definitely plausible - the aforementioned Goop is paraffin along with some other things, according to the ingredients. I'll have a dig around in case I have any in a cupboard somewhere.

I've found that the spray stuff I mentioned sort-of works, but it's impossible to spray it in a thin coating, and so it ends up taking a lot of it to clean even a small area.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

the Pond, and I've not seen 'that' Gunk in any of the parts places around here - but then it is a smaller town. I'll be down in the 'nearby' (5 hour drive!) city in a few weeks' time, so I'll take a look when down there and stock up if I find any...

Hmm, not sure if that exists here or not - I'll have to take a look...

cheers!

J.

Reply to
Jules

Paraffin's the stuff to use

NT

Reply to
NT

As Grimley has already said Bio diesel is an excellent degreaser. If you chose to make your own then you have the added advantage of producing glycerine as a by-product so you can use this to clean your hands afterwards.

Peter Parry

I've made a usable sort of swarfega from washing up liquid and white spirit, petrol or diesel.

Very similar to Gunk if used at low detergent concentrations.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Used to do something similar years ago to clean really bad fabric car seats. Mixture of dry cleaning solvent & hard surface cleaner. Worked a treat, but a very short life. The detergent 'ate' the solvent.

IIUC they have now found a way of having a solvent & a detergent in the same product that remains stable, which is why some modern cleaners are so good. Fairy Power Spray for example.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman