Selling old double glazing

We have three newish dg units (small windows - think they're 100 quid each at screwfix) and a much older bigger window. We've been keeping them in case a neighbour bought the house next to them as it needs re-doing. However a private landlord has bought the place instead and has asked about buying them. Not sure how much to ask for them - any thoughts?

Reply to
mogga

They're often given away on Freecycle...

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Well yeah I imagine the allotmenters would have them off us no probs. We only kept them because of the prospect of them being used again - does £100 sounds a bit dear for the lot ? (bearing in mind it's a landlord who's bought zillions of houses rather than a friend)

Reply to
mogga

No. Just tell him you want £100 for them. He will either buy them or make you an offer.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

He's said yes so there you go!

Reply to
mogga

Brilliant! I'll start collecting them from Freecycle! ;o)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

There are already people who do this.

When I was giving away some of my photography stuff that I hadn't used in years (with a 'new' value of about 300 pounds), I had many offers to "take the lot" and one guy said "I don't know what this is but I'll take it anyway".

I declined, these offers. If I'd wanted my stuff sold on eBay I'd have done it myself

tim

Reply to
tim.....

So sell it on eBay yourself. Mogga got £100 by asking for £100. If you give something away you give it away with good grace and do it for free.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

If you are happy then all is done. No auction fees, no time wasters from a free ad mag. £100 to spend in the pub.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

You're not a freecycler then, I can tell.

There is generally a negative attitude to people who want to take stuff to eBay or boot sale. Lots of people try to make sure that first chice is given to people what actually want to use the item in question and I don't think that suggesting this is "bad grace" is fair.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

I never give anything to the "I'll have the lot mate, give me a ring on [mobile number] and I'll pick it up" brigade. There's times when you just want something gone but if it's an item that could really be useful to someone genuinely in need then the boot-fairers can FRO.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

You are right. I am not a freecycler (anymore).

Point taken.

The reason I am not a freecylcler anymore is for a few reasons.

  1. I first try to offer anything I do not need to to friends etc. Even the friend of a friend usually results in an item going to somewhere it will be used and needed.
  2. Freecycle is full of wanted adverts
  3. Freecycle timewasters (non-collections etc)
  4. As you said. Sorting out the eBayers and car booters. Far too time consuming using Freecycle. I still say "if given away never look back"
  5. I decided not to use freecycle and sell my un-needed items and give the proceeds to my local cat rescue centre. Anyone in catogory 1 (virtually all of my sales) are asked to make a donation to the same rescue centre.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

I've complained about the level of them in our group from time to time. But they allow 3 per person per month. And no limits apparently on what you can ask for. Laptops, expensive stuff galore gets begged for regularly.

Yes. Very annoying.

Someone asked for a sewing machine recently and I offered them the broken one I've got. (New foot pedal needed only) and they came and took it away. If it saves me a trip to the tip it's worth using freecycle but you have to put up with some annoyance. :(

Reply to
mogga

Someone once asked for a car on mine.

The rule there is (was?) that you cannot 'want' unless you have previously given. But it's easy to give stuff away, there are regularly people collecting jam jars (surprisingly for jam) or packing material.

I never go to any trouble. They come to me at a convenient time, and if they don't turn up, nothing lost.

I never phone collectors.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

I don't see how the value of an item matters in the slightest and I don't understand the incredulity aimed at those who do ask for once-expensive items. Should only cheap items be recycled? If an item isn't wanted then it's not wanted, regardless of value. I have no problem with people asking for anything, even houses if they want; it's not like you *have* to offer them one, and if they were to receive what they asked for then good luck to them.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

tim..... coughed up some electrons that declared:

For smaller items, I've just left them out on the doorstep with the collector's name on, having told them to come along that day whenever was convenient for them.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I am VERY tempted to put a wanted ad on freecylcle that says "Arrogant Bastard Wants Money For Nothing"

Very annoying though

As pointed out earlier, I now sell on behalf of or give my stuff (that would have gone onto freecycle) to a charity to sell.

Adam

PS Did the advert for the car have any specs required:-)

Reply to
ARWadworth