Sealant for external walls

Hi

I'm told there is some sort of sealant I can paint on external walls that will help repel water, and hopefully prevent damp getting into the walls.

I can't find anything on the internet - can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Simon

Reply to
Simon Hawthorne

But not until the wall is dry! If not, the only way for the moisture already in the bricks to go, is in.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Chesters

On a lot of walls this is a bad idea, and in fact makes things worse.

If you have a problem with damp, the solution is normally to fix the cause of the damp.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Simon, You should be able to buy something like Thompsons Damp Seal liquid from most DIY sheds.

Easy to apply with a creosote/fence brush - donot try using a standard paint brush.

Cheers Steve

Reply to
Steve

Thomsons Waterseal if you want a clear coating. Onle effective on bare brick or masonry where it can penetrate freely, and, boy does it penetrate. Best done in the summer when the wall is bone dry. Think in terms of 10 or 20 litres rather than retail sizes.

Use a solvent based masonry paint like Johnstones Stormguard if the walls are already painted.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Maybe I wasn't clear here guys - I don't have damp in these walls - but I can't stretch to having the full render treatment - so was after something I could do myself to protect the walls.

Thanks

Reply to
Simon Hawthorne

This stuff does the job, used it a few times.

?ts=33505&id=19648

Reply to
Dave Jones

Whats the problem you are trying to fix?

Reply to
basil

OK this makes things a bit clearer. Some qs:

why do you want to render the walls? Or do you maen something else by 'render treatment'? what are the walls made of, how old, and in what condition? what problem are you trying to solve?

NT

Reply to
bigcat

The walls are brick, with the plaster straight onto the brick inside. The house was built in 1870.

I had a dodgy drainpipe a few months ago that allowed rainwater to run down one of the gable ends - which caused some damp inside. I fixed the drainpipe, and now, some months later, the damp has dried out.

I am renovating a barn that is attached to my house- and am going to finish it with a tyrolean (I think that is what it is called!) finish

- which will match the house. The house gable ends are just painted - or a very thin layer of something - but not render.

I can't sretch to have the lot tyroleaned - and thought I could prevent any future damp spots and just help protect the house with some sort of water repellant finsh.

Thanks

Simon

Reply to
Simon Hawthorne

ok, victorian houses work very differently to modern buildings when it comes to handling damp. Waterproof coatings on the bricwork actually worsen damp problems. AFAIC see you dont have a problem that needs solving, nor a wall that is for any reason in need of protection.

To find out more about Vic houses, damp and treatments,

most cases it is not advisable to apply render to unrendered Vic buildings.

NT

Reply to
bigcat