SDS Drills

Page 2 of 2
On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 13:14:18 -0000, "stuart noble"

I think it's the use you know you are going to get from it that decides the price in my point. I have a full house to strip and refurbish from top to bottom plus the gardens and drive so the extra spent on a bigger brand tool makes sense in the longterm.
I bought a cheap chop saw from Screwfix which no longer cuts straight - spindles bent on motor I think will be sent back when I get time. I bought a 18V cordless Bosch drill three years ago and it's as good as the day I bought it, same with the jigsaw and orbital sander and believe me I've hammered the crap out of them. :-)
On the other hand had I moved into a less shoddy house I'd have perhaps managed without the SDS knowing it wouldn't be used enough to warrant the price.
Mark S.
On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 13:14:18 -0000, stuart noble wrote:

I take it you live in a modern house where the hardest material used in construction is the timber? This house is random stone and I mean that both in the construction method and the stone used. Some is nice relatively soft(*) sandstone and limestone but there is the odd lump of granite.
(*) Still makes a ordinary hammer drill think even with a 5 or 6mm hole. The SDS, brrrrwwp hole done.

Maybe but less tiring than swinging a lump hammer.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Cheap tools get nicked too. Thieves are rarely fussy.
--
*It is wrong to ever split an infinitive *

Even if true, would you prefer to lose a 30 quid NuTool or a 300 quid Makita?
Christian.

Well, I buy tools to use and hopefully enjoy, not have them stolen. So I'm not the person to ask.
I'd get awfully bored and tired using one of those clodhoppers all day rather than my DeWalt, though.
If I worked on a building site, I'd engrave every part of my drill with identification.
--
*You are validating my inherent mistrust of strangers

Dave Plowman wrote:

It'd still get nicked, by the low life that raid vans, sites etc, even some boys on the tools cannot be trusted, though they take their chances with future employment (and procreation)....
Niel.

Having tried the original NuTool and the X-Pro I can say that almost anything would beat it. I reported on my experience here previously. In one week I went through four NuTool SDS drills.
The chuck exploded on three of them. A big bang, springs and ball bearings all over the place.
One overheated and died.
I got my money back so I wasn't too disappoitned, but as an SDS drill it was pants. The rotostop doesn't work properly, engage rotostop and the tool is free to rotate. Bloody useless if one is trying to remove tiles.
On the plus points as a drill it's a heavier hitter than my Wickes/Kress SDS drill. But the lighter Wickes SDS has a proper rotostop and used side by side with the NuTool it saw all of them off and is still workign fine a year later despite very heavy usage. It was worth the extra 30. I came close to spending that 30 in petrol driving back to Makro to get a replacement NuTool.

Odd. Mine works just fine. Could have been a bad batch. Each one you took back getting replaced by an identically faulty model.

Again, no sign of this on mine.
Christian.

I agree that you must have had a bad one. True that the rotostop is not the best but I have had extremely good experience with NuTool.
It is also interesting that they give a 2 year guarantee when brands costing several times the NuTool price only offer 12 months.
Rob
--
Tel. 07010 703 702
snipped-for-privacy@kalico.spam

I think the specification for replacement brushes is something like 50 hours of use - I read a figure somewhere anyway, and it wasn't 10 minutes.
50 hours use for a domestic user is likely to translate to years of ownership, unless they are doing a full scale demolition job or something. It takes literally seconds to hammer holes into the hardest of brick. And if they are doing some major work then the higher price would be more sensible, but wouldn't fit the "domestic" category anyway.
Being a liability up a ladder is fair enough, but guttering tends to be fixed to woodwork rather than brick (if we are talking about the guttering mounted on the eaves). So you wouldn't use an SDS for that job, more likely a small rechargeable drill.
If you are fixing down pipes and the like these would be fixed to brickwork. But downpipes tend to have only 2-3 fixing points so it's hardly a big deal.
PoP

FWIW I bought a cheap hefty B&Q generic type for 30, which went through walls with no problem at all. Right through, several times, leaving impressive conical exit wounds. Mostly my stupidity in trying to use long frame fixings in single-thickness walls, shattering the untypical-for-Cambridge soft red bricks as the bit got near the other side. But it's not particularly subtle - you have to push the bit back into the springy chuck until the hammer can reach it, and then it just blasts through. So just got the Bosch at Argos, down to 85 + 5 voucher (new ranges of both green & blue Bosch reaching shops now). Is it "discretion" or "variable speed control" which is the better part of valour? Al
Toby wrote:

Reduced to 85 now on their web site. I think one for my shopping list.
-Duncan

Thanks for the various follow ups. Plenty to think on there. I must admit that Argos wasn't somewhere that I would have thought of as a likely place for such tools.
Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "news" with "adrian" and "nospam" with "ffoil"
Adrian Simpson wrote:

There's a 1500 watt 1/4", 8mm, 1/2" router (JCB iirc) going for 40 quid at the moment, thats not bad value for the money! I'm also tempted by the sawzall at 35 quid, again branded JCB...If the blades are long enough for chopping 4x2's the thick way.

I am also tempted by this router. I would like a 1/2" jobbie for the occasional DIY use, I already have a 1/4" one but sometimes it's not 'meaty' enough! Anybody had any experience with JCB tools or is it just rebadged Far Eastern stuff?
TIA
John

Who is behind the JCB brand, apart from the obvious? Anyone know if they are any good?
Also, I must be missing something because I have never felt the need to buy a router. Is there some job that they get used for that I am overlooking, perhaps?
Rob
--
Tel. 07010 703 702
snipped-for-privacy@kalico.spam
Kalico wrote:

Alba/Goodmans handle it, but the trademark is JCB's.

Average stuff from what I've seen, but the pricing is better than average at the moment.

Depends on what your into....
Niel, at work.
Kalico wrote:

To an extent it is a case of until you have one, you don't spot all the opportunities to use it... a bit like why does a dog lick his balls? Because he can! ;-)
I think the biggest single use I put my routers to is edge finishing - e.g. adding rounded over edges on shelves etc. After that comes jointing and channeling.
--
Cheers,

John.

Shaun Robertson wrote:

It's always best to drill a small pilot hole first, then you can go most of the way through, and finish off from outside.
be snipped-for-privacy@thai.com! Shop all amazing products and get our special offers!