Screwfix special offer drill press

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp ;jsessionid=UGZ3DHEBTHELHCJO2C3CHPQ?idQ007&slotNameATURE&homeRef=home&ts748&destination=../cat/pro.jsp%3Fid%3D51007%26slotName%3DFEATURE%26homeRef%3Dhome
Worth having for 50?
(Sorry about the URL...)
On 1 Oct 2003 14:38:29 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

I see it is in the stock clearance section - looks good to me. If I didn't already have 2 pillar drills I might have been tempted.....

Have you heard about http://www.tinyurl.com ?
PoP

Not my problem, John.
Hi Huge In you wrote:

Then why apologise for it?
--
Fishter
unhook to mail me | http://www.fishter.org.uk /

I got the joke after a double take ;-)
Colin
On 1 Oct 2003 14:38:29 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

It's 100 in the catalogue. So if it's already in the clearance list, then what's wrong with it ?
Although at that price, the temptation is obviously to buy it and try it.
-- Smert' spamionam
On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 20:54:53 +0100, Andy Dingley

Saw one in the Axminster catalogue this evening - 44.94. Ref CCD12L.
Pop
On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 22:01:04 +0100, PoP
That's not a sliding or swivelling head though - and the CCRD is 150ish -- Smert' spamionam

That was my thinking.
snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote in

Isn't 350W a bit underpowered?
I'm tempted though.
Must fight the temptation. SWMBO would not be a happy bunny.
--
Danny Monaghan

To email me, put the LIGHT out!
On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 14:55:03 +0000 (UTC), Danny Monaghan
Other vertical drills in this range seem to be quoted as 500W, so it may be a bit underpowered.
However it's a bit relative really. If you usually drill holes with small bits then 350W is probably fine.
PoP

Dunno. That's why I'm asking!

[AOL]
On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 14:55:03 +0000 (UTC), Danny Monaghan
Drilling doesn't take much power, but some bits can need substantial torque (you can always slow down). Although 1/2HP isn't generous, I'd expect transmission slippage to be the actual limit, not stalling the motor.
My morticer is a direct-drive 1/2HP motor and I can easily stall it. OTOH, I quite like this sometimes, because it's preferable to a snatch-and-grab
-- Smert' spamionam