Screwfix deliveries

Page 1 of 2
Given that this company's registered trademark is "EVERYTHING for the TRADE - NEXT DAY" I was surprised when my first order took two days. But it didn't really matter and assumed everybody has an off day. Next two deliveries were next day so this seemed to be true. But latest order didn't arrive, phoned and they first said next Monday (from a late Tuesday order) before deciding it had been despatched late yesterday. It arrived this afternoon.
2 late out of 4 strikes me as hardly meeting their slogan, although I fully accept it says in the very small print three pages later that this is not guaranteed. Am I a one off or does everybody else find this as well ? - in which case I think a new slogan is needed.

it
didn't
fully
Your experience is about right. Sometimes they leave out items too.

I must have been very lucky then - six orders from Screwfix over the past month and every single one has arrived next day, even when ordered late in the afternoon on the previous day.
Rob.

Surely that is misrepresentation, a small print get-out not even on the same page is not sufficient.

I've just had a look at my most recent catalogue, and I don't think it is. what is quoted by the OP is effectively a slogan -and of course if you need a guaranteed next day service you can have it for a few more quid - so it is technically correct. No where on the front does it say 'Free' or 'guaranteed' either.
- I think as much as anything they are selling the point that they have it stock and can get it to you the next day. And IME they do always seem to have stuff in stock.
I don't think it's really correct to refer to the delivery options as being in 'very small print'. It's 2 pages into the catalogue, and the details of the various options is in a panel that takes up about 2/3 page - and the standard delivery quite clearly says 'Fast - usually next day before 6 pm'
--
Chris French, Leeds

not
case
That's why I am asking this here. If I am obviously just unlucky that's fine but if everybody is getting deliveries next day less than about say 80-90% of the time I think a call to advertising standards might be in order.

I don't really see why. They use standard delivery services and you have the option of paying 4 for delivery before 12 the following day.
For the standard delivery they say "usually" the next day.
I'm not sure that there is a legal definition of "usually" other than it would be hard to use the term if less than 50% of deliveries happen the next day. .andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

As far as I can see, I've placed nine orders with Screwfix since September, varying in size from less than 50ukp to over 500. From memory, only two have arrived next day even though all except one were placed before 6pm. Two or three have had errors, none serious
The last twice I have ordered from SF, they have apologised in advance for delays. Just before Christmas it was "we're so busy that we've changed the deadline from 6pm to 5pm and you've just missed it". Yesterday (order placed at 2pm) it was "we're very busy so your order will probably arrive Friday." As yet (34 hours after placing the order) I've not had the email confirmation I usually get when the thing has been dispatched and am losing hope that the thing will arrive Friday as promised. Shame, it's a few things to complete a job and I'm going to have to ring the client and tell him there's no point me coming in. The stuff will presumably arrive Monday, so Monday's client will have to wait until Tuesday, and Tuesday's paperwork won't get done because I have another large job from Wednesday.
Can't say I've had much more luck with other mail order firms though. Although they usually arrive on time, I don't think I've yet had a completely correct order from CPC, and my first and so far only order from QVS was a complete disaster.
Grrr!!
Oh yes, Amazon have been good. Not a failure at all that I remember, and I've been using them for nearly five years. Shame they don't sell cable and sockets :-)
Hwyl!
M.

<snip>
I placed an order yesterday at about 1700, arrived the morning at about 11.30, I seem to be in a place where we get a good delivery service (usually Parcelforce nowadays) Pretty much every order I get has been on time.

If this is stuff for a job, maybe it would be worth the extra few quid for guaranteed next day delivery?
--
Chris French, Leeds

Well, the point was that I'd already added in a day - I ordered the stuff mid-afternoon on Wednesday, hoping to have it for Friday - even though I have rarely had something arrive next day, it has usually arrived early the following day. I *thought* that this amount of forward-planning would be sufficient, but began to have my doubts when they told me "we're very busy" before I had even started placing my order. I suspect that even had I paid for the extra fast delivery, it would have at the best been extra fast on Friday morning.
I'm online now, specifically to check for email from Screwfix and they still haven't sent out their notification - 42 hours after I placed the order.
Hmmm... :-/
Hwyl!
M.

Pleased to say that the stuff arrived about 10 on Friday, shortly after I posted the above. I still haven't had the email though :-)
As far as I can tell so far the order is correct and complete, though one item is damaged and will have to be replaced.
Hwyl!
M.

I'm sure that being chewed by a toothless platypus will worry them a lot. They seem to deliver most things as advertised - and if they don't and you speak nicely to the ladies you get the missing bits and a 10 voucher. I really don't see a problem with that.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

For what it's worth my experiences with SF seem to be similar to those above. When I first started using them everything always turned up next day and I couldn't understand why they offered the guaranteed next day service, but it has slipped since those days, most noticeably when Kingfisher group took over, product quality plummetted and delivery got less and less reliable, consequently I usually source everything locally as they aren't as cheap as they used to be. My last order placed lunctime wednesday, delivered monday afternoon, but it was the week when we had a couple of slightly snowy days...

It depends where you are, it's the local depot of the delivery service they use (often Parcel Force) that mostly affects how good they are.
I'm lucky and have a good local Parcel Force depot, ScrewFix deliveries are 9 times out of 10 'next day' and usually before 8am as well.
--
Chris Green

G&M wrote:

6 Orders, all delivered next day (2 being done at about 5:45pm and delivered by 10am next day on 'free' delivery).
Highly impressed with them and haven't yet had any cause to complain.
And on page 3 it says in large print "FAST - usually NEXT DAY before 6pm - FREE". Hardly small print or hard to understand. Their claim is that everything is ex-stock and therefore they *can* get it to you next day guaranteed - if you pay for it.
David
David
G&M wrote:

I expect the quality of your local couriers depot has as much to do with it as anything. I guess I get 90% of stuff from them next day. Any problems have also been quickly resolved.
--
Cheers,

John.

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 22:13:59 +0000, John Rumm

Virtually all my Screwfix orders have arrived next day. I'm in Bracknell and they are usually delivered via ParcelFarce based in Farnborough - though I think our local ParcelFarce depot might be Reading.
I have seen two ParcelFarce vans drive up our Close almost together before now. Probably Reading and Farnborough overlapping.
PoP

My God! That is even worse than Basingstoke!

case I

That's probably got more to do with it than anything. My company promises a similar next day delivery and in theory it should be. Any order received by us by 4:00pm will go out on the van that evening for a next day delivery. However we get a number of emails every day from the carriers informing us of deliveries they couldn't make for one reason or another. All carriers have their problems. We've tried most of them and settled on the one that gives us and our customers the fewest.
Phil

it
didn't
I ordered 8pm tuesday evening- apparently the order arrived on their system in the early hours of wednesday, but then appeared to get "stuck" for all of wednesday. Phoned again Thursday, was told order had been dispatched, but.....still hasnt arrived with me yet (saturday) :((
Only my 2nd order with Screwfix and the first arrived the next day as promised... Am alittle miffed- might well ring em again and get stroppy...
Tim..