Screwdriver with neon electricity tester

Priceless. :D

Reply to
brass monkey

It's foresight you need, not eyesight.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

In practice I find that it is possible to work without sticking a wire through a glove, just as you might expect to work without a wire penetrating your skin were you not wearing gloves.

I think we can assume a reasonable level of manual dexterity here.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Could you please point to the law that says that it is illegal to use them at a place of work?

Reply to
F Murtz

Months.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Just in case you are really thick, and not trolling, a 30 A fuse will not break at 31 amps. John is completely right when he says 450A will pass through you.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

That 450 Amps (roughly, give or take a factor of ten), depending on the impedances involved, will pass through the short, not through the person. What will pass through the person will be the molten metal from the copper cores, and maybe enough leakage current to *really* spoil their life.

The resistance through the human body with intact, dry skin will limit the current through it to an amp or so maximum, much less if your shoes have rubber soles, and your feet are the only part of you touching an earth, although not many milliamps can be enough to kill you.

Reply to
John Williamson

Well yes, I should have said "will pass".

Around 1000 ohms iirc. Low enough to kill by heart attack, and, of course,it'll be far lower if you are touching an earthed object when you touch the live conductor.

Reply to
A.Lee

And has been shortlisted for a Darwin Award ?

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Nonsense, I'm simply asking relevant questions.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I was explaining why there isn't a massive explosion which blows your head off.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

There is nothing untruthful about it.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Well it's never caused me a problem using one of those screwdrivers.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I've pierced my skin with wire more often than I've had an electric shock.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I wasn't aware there was one, ask the guy that wrote the wiki I was quoting.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

OK. So touching a live wire to neutral or earth is a perfectly valid way of checking that the wire is in fact live?

And it is also completely safe with no risk whatsoever to life or limb (or being blinded by molten bits of copper flying into your eyes)?

How about just shorting with the end of a screwdriver instead? That won't damage the screwdriver will it?

BTW how will you know whether that wire had been live or not? Will there be a spark (like you get when you short a couple of AA cells), or will the wires just stick?

One problem with this is that the test is just a one-off; the live feed might be dead, but someone could turn on the supply while you're working. I prefer something like a nearby lamp plugged into the same supply.

Reply to
BartC

See, haven't electrocuted myself yet.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I know, and I never disputed that fact.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

But usually it doesn't. I've had around 10 shocks off mains voltages.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Stop showing yourself up as a gutless wimp who never takes risks. Life must be so boring for you.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott