Screwdriver with neon electricity tester

No, that would be impractical.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I do have good eyesight :-P

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Then they are useless, wires are very sharp.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

So, having isolated the circuit, we are 100% certain that it is dead. But I have in my life been 100% certain of quite a few facts that have turned out to be wrong. So we arrive at a decision. We are looking at a Line and Neutral bare pair and we are about to touch them. We are 100% sure the circuit is dead. Should we touch L and N together? Reason not to do it: If our certainty is misplaced there will be a frightening bang and a flash. It will be a really bad moment. Reason to do it: If our certainty is misplaced and we don't do it we will probably die.

So, let's weigh it up. It's either risk a bang and a flash, or risk death. Which is it to be? Well... to be honest, I hate bangs and flashes... but on the other hand I don't think I want to be dead. It would last longer than a bang and flash, and because I sometimes waste time on here I will probably go to Hell.

So, having thought it out, I think I'll touch the wires together.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I presume you are just trolling, but just in case anyone reading actually thinks that this is a even vaguely plausible line of reasoning, perhaps they would care to look at the fault current required to open a BS3036 rewireable fuse in 0.1 secs:

for 100ms (assuming the loop impedance is low enough for this magnitude).

The let through energy of the fuse is given by I^2t, so we are talking about 20kJ in that case.

Reply to
John Rumm

When I said "30 amps", I was talking about a 30A fuse on a cable designed for 30 amps.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

They have lower breaking ability in the first place.

Words fail me...

Reply to
John Rumm

OK, I give in. Confronted by such logic and erudite argument, I have to concede that is proof beyond doubt...

Reply to
John Rumm

You mean they're for lower currents? I've seen 15A ones.

I've tried it, you haven't.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

ROF Ever thought of hairdressing?

Reply to
brass monkey

2 bloody right, John. Never mind, he has a degree. LMFAO
Reply to
brass monkey

Yea? Ever had anyone call you a d*****ad? Out of interest, how old are you?

Reply to
brass monkey

ROFLMFAO :D

Reply to
brass monkey

My point is, on hundreds of occasions it didn't happen, and on no occasions it did. Hence the probability of it happening is next to nothing.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Ever thought of being a Mathematician? They're pretty pedantic.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

There is nothing inaccurate in what I wrote.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

And that has what to do with sparks?

36.
Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

But they're usually not stupid. You're typing questions and comments like a

10 year old. I'm very sorry but that's how you appear.
Reply to
brass monkey

Jesus.

Reply to
brass monkey

"The wires have to touch before you get the short" Really? Shock horror. Who woulda thunk it.

Reply to
brass monkey