Screwdriver with neon electricity tester

Was in Morrisons today and they had these on the end of aisle display (where they have bits of hardwear). Only 87p, not on special, just marked up as 87p.Not bad if you need a mains tester.

Providing that you _know_ how to use such a tester safely :-)
Not lighting up doesn't mean that there's nothing there; lighting up doesn't always mean that a dangerous potential is present. A bit like digital multimeters really, in the wrong hands!
I haven't seen neon screwdrivers for yonks. I used to have one in an RS toolkit some 25 years ago.
--
Frank Erskine

Frank Erskine wrote:

Nasty dangerous things. Avoid.
Bill
On 10/03/2012 01:47, Bill Wright wrote:

As a non electrician I would have thought it could add another bit of safety. Even to change a socket I have to put the mains ring off then check the socket is not live then I panick and put the complete mains off then usually get my wife to double check and at that I still try and avoid touching a wire while changing it. But with one of the neon testers then if it lights before switching off then doesnt light after switching off surely adds another safety zone.
But would be interested in the whats `nasty & dangerous` part.
ss wrote:

Used as you are using it, with a check that it's working, is probably OK. But people tend to just believe the thing with no other check at all. That's where the danger lies.
My own check is to short out L & N before touching anything, and lock the door of the room with the consumer unit. And I always wear gloves even when I 'know' the circuit is dead.
Bill

No, because it might have broken in the meantime.
You should be testing the tester, testing the circuit for live, then testing the tester again.
Except that neon screwdrivers are so hit and miss they're completely useless and all they can do is give a false sense of security.
Apart from when they fall apart in your hand.
They really should be banned. I'd rather work live and just be very very very careful about only holding the wires by the plastic bits.
Owain
Owain wrote:

Rubber gloves.
Bill
On Saturday, 10 March 2012 12:33:02 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:

Can you recommend any gloves which will do the job but aren't too bulky?
On 10/03/2012 12:40, kent wrote:

Proper live working gloves are not particularly small and neat:
http://www.arco.co.uk/products/1457600
--
Cheers,

John.

On Saturday, 10 March 2012 13:15:55 UTC, John Rumm wrote:

Thanks. So not cheap for occasional use by a DIYer.
On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 04:40:54 -0800 (PST), kent wrote:

And won't get penetrated by a sharp bit of wire...
--
Cheers
Dave.

Ones that won't let a sharp wire pierce through?!?
--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com
Lieutenant Scott wrote:

No, that would be impractical.
Bill

Then they are useless, wires are very sharp.
--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com
Lieutenant Scott wrote:

In practice I find that it is possible to work without sticking a wire through a glove, just as you might expect to work without a wire penetrating your skin were you not wearing gloves.
I think we can assume a reasonable level of manual dexterity here.
Bill

I've pierced my skin with wire more often than I've had an electric shock.
--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com
Lieutenant Scott wrote:

As long as you do it in the privacy of your own home and don't hurt anyone else, that's fine.
Bill

It would be difficult to hurt someone else by piercing my skin with wire.
--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com
Lieutenant Scott wrote:

I was thinking you might join a group of like-minded people.
Bill
On 10/03/2012 23:00, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

Probably best you don't try live working then...
--
Cheers,

John.