Light Switch with neon inicator

I have a light switch that connects to a couple of LED strip in my loft. (single story property).

A couple of weeks ago I realised that I had closed the hatch, forgetting to turn the switch off.

I purchased a double pole neon replacement. The original wiring was live to switch and live return from switch to the load - no neutral.

The neon is already connected to the live return so I reckon all I need to do is run a single cable from the unconnected side of the neon to any convenient point where I can connect to neutral.

(I intend to replace the existing 2+Earth with a 3+earth cable.)

The question is, is there something else that I ought to consider?

TIA Alan

Reply to
pinnerite

Why don't you wire a resistor in series with the live wire and an LED parallel to the resistor? You will probably need a ballast in series with the LED so that you don't blow it, and work out what value resistors are required.

Reply to
Max Demian

Can you put a small indicator light in the ceiling above the switch (wired in parallel with the lights) to show the lights are on?

Reply to
Fredxx

Connect up another light that comes on downstairs when you turn your loft lights on ?.

Reply to
Andrew

It has to be the neutral on the same circuit. Definately the same RCD.

Really you need to run back to the neutral at the light.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

You are allowed a low current returned through the earth, it may be available at the switch. A neon takes negligible current, well below that required to trip a RCD but it's not a practice I would recommend.

Reply to
Fredxx

You could possibly fit a snubber across switched live and neutral at the fitting and wire the neon between live and switched live.

However you are correct in saying that a 3 core and earth is the way forward.

Reply to
ARW

In reality a neon uses so little current that you can use almost anything for the 'neutral' end and it won't be noticed in the slightest by an RCD. (RCD trips at 30mA, neon takes much less than

1mA)
Reply to
Chris Green

Some great replies. Thank you.

I forgot to mention that after the rewiring, part of the loft was boarded, so it is dificult to follow the wiring from where the switch cable comes out into the loft. I'm a bit unsteady in the loft (advanced years) so I asked my electrician to do it when he is next in the area. He is a friend of nigh on 50 years. He must have been thrilled with my message because he hasn't replied! :)

ATB Alan

Reply to
pinnerite