Scaffolding Price

Does anyone know what the cost of scafolding is in the SE? I've for a small piece of eaves at the end of my house that i can't get to by ladder because of a coalshed & an outhouse at the back & it needs painting... The only thing I can think of is a bit of scaffolding being put up over it so I can get access to the end of the gable & strip & paint it... But how much is that likely to cost me?

TIA

Hamish.

Reply to
Hamie

Its gonna be a few hundred quid. From my enquires you get a price for ercation, 6 week hire, and dismantleing. Extra weeks cost more.

Also you will get a proper job done, saftey rails all that sort of stuff, not a DIY sort of safe but not really scaffold job that DIY types who own not quite enough of their own scaffold do.

Reply to
Rick

Phone a few. Biggest problem will be getting them to take it away when finished - as few companies seem to have enough storage, so it tends to go when they have another job where it's needed!

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Scaffolding, or a scaff tower ? Scaffolding _must_ now be checked by a real ticketed rigger before use, so there's less scope for "doing things on the cheap". However if access is easy and you just need some vertical height, you can still hire a simple pre-fab tower and erect it yourself.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Unfortunately it's not accessable with a tower, or I'd use a ladder... The back of the house looks like

------------------- | Paint here -> | |------------------ | | | | | /| / | / | / | Coal Shed etc | | | | --------------------

Where that bit at the bottom is a coal shed & outhouse... And the gable is about 7-8m in height & the angle is a bit much for a ladder (Maybe... I might try a standoff at the top and dig a ditch at the bottom for the ladder to sit in to stop it slipping. The ladder is a nice strong box alu one... The roofer said it was nice to see someone with a proper ladder when he borrowed it).

Reply to
Hamie

[snip]

Don't suppose you could get a cherry picker type lift near enough to it? Might be cheaper to hire one than get scaffolding put up, certified and then taken down again later.

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Not unless it's a max of about 1.2m wide and 1.8m tall (Otherwise I'd have to take apart the gates at the side of the house).

I might try a long pole sander & a roller from the corner of the building... Spending hundreds for painting the gable seems like such a lot...

Hamie

I just did just this on an inaccessible bit of mine and it worked fine [1]. Probably wouldn't look so good close up but will never be seen close up so who cares. Another inaccessible bit had a window, so I worked from a bridge between scaffold tower and windowsill. Health and safety would probably have a fit

[1] Spread out protective coverings on the roof below. Its a rather drippy method

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

You will probably get a cherry picker that small.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

if its for your own use only you can always make wood scaffolding. Only do it if you properpyl understand how to make it safe, there are gotchas. Mustnt let anyone else onto it unless its inspected etc.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

You can always attach a decent climbing rope up, with a proper harness and a pair of jumars, your away .

Rick

Reply to
Rick

In message , Rick writes

They do a cherry picker that will fit through a normal house door. It is called an octopus or something similar

Reply to
Sue Begg