Roses - Does Anyone Know What This Is?

I'm not sure if this is bugs leaving/infecting, bug's laying eggs or just diese... however it's not treating my roses nice. Does anyone know what this is and how to treat it? 3 pics below, far, close and closer....

lanzilli

This looks very much like a chewer has been at work. Have you searched

*very* carefully the leaves (underneath too) and stems for a grub or grasshopper, there are some whose camo is very good and they are hard to spot even if you are looking at them. Pic #3 would give the best information as it is closer but sadly it is out of focus which makes things harder. There is a rose sawfly larvae that does damage a bit like you seem to have so find some internet images of them and their damage pattern for comparison.

Regardless of the leaf chewing they look rather spindly and under-developed, at mid summer the leaves ought to be more lush. Several possibilities. One, the pot is too small and it dries out too quickly and will not support a decent sized root ball, so it will be stunted. I suggest this winter pruning the tops down by half and potting on to a bigger tub. Two, it doesn't get enough sun. Is it on the sunward side of the house? Three, it is underfed. Roses are heavy feeders as they make huge amounts of new growth every year.

David Hare-Scott

The pale trails are the work of leaf miners, which are larva living inside the leaves. The holes could be just about anything. You need to look for the actual bugs.

There isn't much that can be done for leaf miners that are actually in the leaves. Your defence there is to prevent the adults from laying eggs.

Leaf miners also come from many species, so the treatment will depend on which one you have and then your preferences.

Reply to
Drew Lawson