What is this stuff above sole plate?

I need to run some new wiring up from the basement into the wall. Is this concrete that the wiring is currently run through? It's not very dense but very hard. Instead of drilling another hole I was thinking I could cut the armored cable from the top and then just rip it out from the bottom. Could I then just run the romex through that hole.

Picture

Thanks Dante

Reply to
Dante

Looks like concrete, but don't understand the "not dense" part...

If you don't need the existing cable, if it will come out, sure.

If you used a proper abrasion collar at the ends you could probably use the existing armored as a sleeve/conduit for the new for such a short distance.

--

Reply to
dpb

It appears that you have an older house with balloon framing. That masonry is a fire stop. You can chisel out a bit of the masonry and fish a cable right up the wall. The only reason you might consider removing that cable, is if it's going to the same box you want to run a new cable into. That cable will probably be stapled inside the wall, so it may not come out easily or intact.

RBM

Mortar?

Reply to
Meat Plow

I agree with RBM. That concrete is probably a firestop and does not go all the way up the wall. If you can get a fish tape along side the existing cable you may be able to determine how high you can go. If it is balloon framing you could probably snake up to the attic. Patch that hole up when you are finished running your wires.

John Grabowski

Some people seem to think that all older wiring is bad. There is likely nothing wrong with that armored cable (AC). If you need more outlets, run another cable and add more outlets. But why are you trying to rip out the old AC? It's stapled inside the wall, so without ripping walls apart you wont get it out. If it's a #14 and you need some 20A outlets, just leave the 15A outlet and install more outlets nearby with #12 wire. More is better (meaning more outlets), but more work is NOT better, and you'll have more work trying to rip out that AC. If you dont want to use that AC at all. just disconnect it and leave it be (or cut off the exposed end in the basement). Then run new wiring thru new holes. Yeah, you will likely have to chisel away some cement.

Reply to
handyman

Most of the AC in the house is in very good condition and I was able to get a ground through the armor on almost all outlets. But for some reason the armor is not grounded at this outlet and the two that come after it. The section is grounded that you see in the picture so the ground is lost in the wall. Maybe the cable is damaged. The outlet is only a few inches above that so I just feel safer knowing that I'll have a good low resistance ground with new romex.

Reply to
Dante

Maybe the cable slipped out of the box clamp or connector. Have you looked inside of the outlet box to see if there is armor showing? If not, you be able to loosen the clamp and pull the cable and armor into the box.

Reply to
John Grabowski