Cleaning iron sole plate

My ds used spray starch to iron his dress uniform and now there is that lovely black gunk on the bottom of my iron.

I know the commercial paste stuff works pretty well as I've used it before. However, I'm looking for an alternative method. I'd thought of steel wool, but I'm worried about scratching the sole plate.

Any ideas?

Ta!

Nan

Reply to
Nan

Hello Nan I was in the cooking chat group discussing rabbit when I realised that Barbecue Bob hasn't posted here for a long time with news of his bunny establishment. So many posters have disappeared of late I am beginning to suspect a spaceship has beamed them away. Anyway I am still here though I am sadly lacking in time of late. I have used wet steel wool and washing up liquid on a warm metal sole with success and also a red hot iron on clean white cotton gets yukky stuff off sometimes. I think it may depend on what type of iron plate. Perhaps a paste of bicarb rubbed over would work too. Hope you're well dear.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

When it was just built up starch on the iron plate,

take a sheet of wax paper, sprinkle salt on it, and then run the hot iron over several times.

Dunno why, but it worked.

Joan

Reply to
jes

It must have been a long time ago. He passed away in 1931.

Yes, and the iron doesn't have to be hot.

What does that have to do with home cleaning?

Reply to
Bart Byers

Unless someone is pulling my leg Barbecue Bob was resurrected in ac-c yesterday. He must have been lurking and having seen my post decided to return.

We have to ask, if she's not well it may affect her cleaning ability, then it becomes very much on topic. It is also polite. If you wish to hang around this group Mr Byers, then you must learn to be polite. We don't tolerate rude posters here, please remember that.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

What would you say if I told you I've had dozens of emails from readers who thought it was high time somebody warned you about your OT remarks? Doesn't this group have a moderator?

Reply to
Bart Byers

And who are you that anyone, let alone "dozens" of people have emailed you?

Nope, there is no moderator.

Welcome to Usenet.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

I'm the one who warned Mrs. Bonk about her OT remarks. Now that she realizes she was wrong, I'm sure she'll apologize for her outburst.

Then it's lucky I came along.

Thank you.

Reply to
Bart Byers

Hello, Mrs. Bonk, I'm quite well, thank you :-)

I've tried a number of things with a little success. Unfortunately the worst of it is burnt on. The bright side is that it's an inexpensive iron and I can replace it. I'll keep this one handy for ds to use on his uniforms, that way I won't care how it's treated.

I did get it cleaned up enough to accomplish my task at hand, which is to get some sewing projects finished :-)

Thanks for your advice. And I hope Bob is okay!

Nan

Reply to
Nan

Get your head out of the sand. Throw the iron away and phone your county mental health services. We need to find out why he sprayed starch on a woolen uniform.

To modern psychiatry, his problem may not be as hopeless as you fear. If you continue to stare at your ruined iron, you, too, may begin to behave erratically.

Reply to
Barbecue Bob

Boob! You certainly don't disappoint.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

Nan's email address suggests that the lights are on but nobody is @ home. That could be why Bob expressed his concern in such a forthright manner. I'm sure he would not have offered advice without first consulting a mental-health professional or talk-show host about her ds.

He did not accuse Nan of be> why the rudeness? maybe you should consult mental health. You are being > ugly!

Reply to
Bart Byers

Was there an e mail amongst them from Gary?

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

He is a one isn't he! Have you thought about taking Marcia's place as moderator? Obviously we need one and with Gary gone too......

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

I don't meant to be indelicate, but how much does it pay?

Reply to
Bart Byers

Probably so, but he used a pseudonym.

Reply to
Bart Byers

it's as though he's risen from the dead...!

hm. what IS that smell? kylie

Reply to
0tterbot

Starching a woolen suit with a hot iron would make a terrible smell, but I don't think we should joke at Nan's expense. Maybe she couldn't smell it because she was suffering from seasonal allergies, and allergies are no laughing matter.

Reply to
Bart Byers

Oh shut up. His dress uniform isn't woolen. The shirt is cotton, you dolt.

Nan

Reply to
Nan