Sage LINE 50

This is a long shot.

We have used the above for many years but ceased subscribing to their annual support when it became iniquitously expensive and when instead of supplying bug fixes they called them upgrades and charged accordingly.

On moving offices I have now forgotten how to re-set up the network version we have. To my memory its a relatively simpleoiperation but I'm d****d if I can recall how I did it previously.

Anyone any ideas or can someone point me in the direction of a support group.

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Try uk.business.accountancy

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Don't you just map to the data drive then put the path to it in the plain-text file called "company" (no file extension)?

Reply to
LSR

I have just done this on a friends new machines. Install the programme on the server machine, it asks if you want to install as server, client or standalone, chose server then share the folder, then on the client machine access the shared folder and in it you will find a exe file called netsetup or something like that, just click on that and follow the instructions. I hope this refreshes your memory Trevor Smith

Reply to
Trevor Smith
[This followup was posted to uk.d-i-y and a copy was sent to the cited author.]

Yes, I did remember this procedure and managed to get it running yesterday morning after lots of trials and tribulations( Another 2 hours lost, these type of jobs are so tedious).

Can you remind me about the procedure with that exe file called netsup or whatever. It rings a bell but its beem 6 years since I last had to do this and the old grey matter is well gone by now.

The set up is still not 100% as it won't let either of the two machines delete a sales or purchase order while the other has Sage running. And it is running v-e-r-y slowly. (Wireless network)

Probably have to have a go on Saturday morning. Another 1/2 day lost.

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Paul Mc Cann wrote: > The set up is still not 100% as it won't let either of the two machines

Make sure NetBEUI protocol is in your network configuration (faster for shared directory access, I believe) and all network cards / access points are told which cable mode 10/100 full/half to connect rather than relying on "auto negotiation" settings. Use a network switch rather than a hub, and use a good reviewed make rather than a no name N-way.

Line 50 v.10 if you've got that, has got some stupidly implemented treeview controls in the report designer which cause a lot of network traffic to regenerate views of available templates etc. During this, you'll be convinced your machine has crashed. There is an option to disable this refresh - I don't remember where it is, it was some time ago ;-(

Also, make very sure that your wireless setup has ALL the security features in use. For this type of application, if you have the choice, I'd lay network cable. Not only for speed & security - what you've basically got is a database based on shared disk file concepts (like Access) which only needs a small sneeze to corrupt itself.

If you are using operating systems later than Win98 then refer to the following Access focused document particulary about "Opportunistic Locking". This is as applicable to Sage and might solve your multi-user issue.

is a good resource as well.

Reply to
Adrian C

Very helpful. I'll have a go this weekend. The version we use no. 7

I hadn't heard of the forum, it sounds good also.

Many thanks

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann