Rusted manhole cover

I have just 'discovered' a manhole on my property. I have no idea what it's for, and I can't open it to have a look as it's rusted.

It's one of the galvanised pressed steel kind, but clearly all the zinc went long ago.

To remove the lot, frame and all, is a pain and expense, as it's out the way, and I can't conceive of wanting to access it. However, Sod's Law being what it is, I'll need to at the most inconvenient time.

Any ideas as to how to free/lift it?

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Stuff a crowbar through it and lever it up.

Its probably cheaper to buy a new (plsatic) one than spend a day trying to get the old one off.

Or alternatively, cover it over and ignore it for another ten yeras.

Thats what I have done with my disused septic tank

You CAn see where the outflow pipe was, as the 'nutrients' are gradually leaching out of whats left of it into a patch of ground, and the grass grows greener there.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If my experience with rusty/bent/jammed manhole coversis anything to go by, pulling it up in an emergency probably wont't be too difficult. However, the surrounding/supporting bricks and concrete may be dislodged when you pull up the manhole cover, so it will never fit back in place and you may have to replace quite a lot of stuff. At lot of this could be avoided if heavy-duty corrosion-resistant covers were fitted in the first place, but they cost more money than the pedestrian-rated galvanised steel variety.

Reply to
Simon

On Thu, 24 May 2007 15:29:02 +0100 "Simon" wrote: At lot of this could be avoided if heavy-duty corrosion-resistant

This one only needs to be rat-rated. It's in a blind alley behind the house. The only reason I found it was that I cleaned out all the junk the previous owners has left to fester there for 30 years.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow