Manhole Covers

I need a new manhole cover in my drive. Should I insist on an iron or aluminium surround and cover which I had expected or is a plastic surround just as robust and long lasting?

Reply to
Don Phillips

Now a days everything is plastic. Personally, I'd insist on iron or steel. You'll be replacing a plastic one in a few years again, and once the sun starts to break down the plastic, it becomes dangerous to anyone stepping on it. I dont care what kind of plastic it is, it will deteriorate when exposed to weather, and metals last much longer.

Reply to
Ron

Is this manhole cover yours or is it owned by the local utility authority? If it's yours and in a traffic area - I would go with caxst iron - no doubt. If this owned by the city or local utility company, you may just get what you get.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

I remember reading that the cheap metal ones are made in India and cost almost nothing but need to be ground smooth before being usable.

longer.

Reply to
Art Begun

Thanks everyone for your comments. You have basically agreed my first impressions. I will stick to the old galvanised frame and cover as originally expected.

In message , Art Begun writes

Reply to
Don Phillips