Road signs

I like the speed humps that are just wide enought to slow down most cars but let an A8 Quatro pass over them without touching them due to it's wider wheel base than the average car. These speed humps certainly speed me up.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That would be why they are putting platform humps in these days. Shame that they also slow emergency stuff down too.

Reply to
dennis

Which is a good reason not to install speed bumps at all.

Reply to
Mark

well, we did say! They are permanently signed diversions, they can just put a sign in at the start to tell you to follow the yellow triangles or whatever.

Reply to
ChelseaTractorMan
8<

Its the usual case of the idiots spoiling it for everyone else. There should be no need for speed humps as there should be no need for keep clear road signs. Most drivers are too stupid not to have the humps or the keep clear signs as they just don't pay attention to road conditions.

Reply to
dennis

Indeed. And the more we cater for the bad drivers the less incentive there is for them to improve.

Reply to
Mark

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Liquorice" saying something like:

That would be with a crosshairs on the ped.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

All emergency vehicles should be pedal cycles, then they could simply ride on the pavement. With no lights on after dark, of course. ;)

Reply to
Jules

Many thanks for taking the time to answer this, Steve.

I do *all* my own driving though :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

exactly, no chauffeurs here!

Reply to
ChelseaTractorMan

That would not follow the convention, as we already have a black bicycle on a white background in a red circle to prohibit cycles and a similar sign whith a car and motorbike to prohibit motor vehicles. Therefore prohibiting pedestrians (or for that matter horses or anything else) should automatically follow the same convention.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Then perhaps you can explain why "no left turn", "no right turn", and "no u turn" *do* feature a diagonal bar. Designed to confuse?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

At this moment i still think we need more cameras so they can collect points and get disqualified faster. They should then have to take compulsory training and a test before they get their license back. I don't see how standards will improve without doing something like that. Even that might not work given the idiotic attitude of many drivers so a three strikes and out system to remove them from the roads all together is probably a good idea.

Reply to
dennis

Naw, some people have a total disregard for the law, they simply believe it doesn't apply to them. Not having a valid driving licence won't stop them driving.

This is a major failing in the system, catch someone driving without the required documentation > take their licence away. What effect is that going to have? SFA, they have already shown they are quiy=te happy to drive without documentation.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There is a need to differentate between the orders to "Turn Right" or "No Right Turn".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Any one with any sense visits an optician at that sort of interval anyway but I guess many people with normal sight don't bother. Trouble is quite a lot of eye problems are degenerative and slowly sneak up on you unnoticed. If spotted early they can be treated with good out comes, caught late and the damage is done.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Snipped

Dennis, I have been quite reticent to jump down your throat despite the deserved comments from others. I have now come to the conclusion that you could be closely related to members of that breed of super idiots that have multiplied over the last few decades. It is inappropriate speed that kills, not someone driving at 36 mph in a 30 limit when the road conditions were perfect and there were no other vehicles or pedestrians about. What you are encouraging is more of the idiot breed that think speed limits are all important: they are not! Cameras do not indicate that there was ice on the road and that the individual who drove past the school at 19 m.p.h.at 8.45 a.m. or 4.00 p.m. knocking a child down was driving irresponsibly. To do this with present technology is not possible as far as I am aware. The removal of police from the road and the imposition of targets has hindered road safety. Likewise, the failure to prosecute folk who drive a car at less than 56 m.p.h. in the slow lane of a motorway, when conditions allow, creates dangerous situations that may cause accidents as HGVs endeavour to pass the idiot. Such folk ought to be prosecuted (for obstruction but rarely are) and possibly barred from using motorways.

I have every sympathy for a driver (particularly one who has to do 40 to 50k miles per annum) that notches up points for driving responsibly and is observing road conditions, traffic, pedestrians, feral dogs, whatever, rather than irresponsibly spending time with eyes glued to the speedometer.

Reply to
Clot

I would endorse that. Rather like braking inefficiency in a car can go unobserved if it happens over a lengthy period.

Both my mother (long deceased) and recently father were diagnosed with cataracts. In my mother's case, after the operation she was able to see "perfectly" - as near as damned it, though having suffered for many years with limited vision.

Contrary to the comment about braking efficiency, I knew that I was suffering abnormalities with my vision in my 30s. Though I pointed out to both my optician and GP, they both poo pooed it, one saying it was lack of fluid from the lacremous gland (tear duct). Fortunately, my glasses were knocked off my face whilst my brother in law and I struggled to pick up a mooring for our boat resulting in them going into The Oggin, never to be seen again. I went to a different optician who immediately said "Do not pass Go, do not collect £200" and referred me to an hospital for Glaucoma which has thankfully contained the problem for the last 2x years.

About 2 years ago, I started experiencing flashing lights - not quite true- difficult to describe, and also a slight hyper sensitivity to blue light - an exaggerated annoyance to those bloody silly unnecessary headlights mostly on vehicles from Germany, (it's about time full beam was removed from motors , but that's another issue). Went to see the Consultant immediately, "everything seems OK". Six months later, I'm diagnosed as having cataracts - common for those that have taken medication for Glaucoma apparently.

Sorry if I've bored you, but I hope that folk might learn from this.

Glaucoma is hereditary; if it is in the family, optician's inspections are free under the UK NHS.

I strongly advocate using the opportunity if any of these signals are relevant to you and yours.

Clot

Reply to
Clot

Isn't there a similar need to differentiate between "Cycles only" and "No cycles"?

What I'm saying is that there isn't consistency. Because signs such as those I've listed above have a bar through them, people expect a bar on a prohibition sign and find a sign without the bar confusing. That's why informal signs such as "no smoking", "no dog shit", (etc), always have a bar though them. People understand the bar. Without the bar they wouldn't understand.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Although an order to turn right would be a white arrow on a blue circular sign.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker