Replacing indirect cylinder

I'm intending to replace old existing cylinder with new quick recovery type to reduce boiler cycling and to provide more hot water in peak periods, I also need to modify pipe layout behind it to connect a shower. The existing cylinder lives in an airing cupboard but is supported some 2ft above the suspended floor of the bungalow, I propose to locate the new cylinder on the floor giving me more space above it. The cistern is in the loft space above, the bottom of which is approx 5' above top of existing cylinder. I cannot think of a reason why I should not do this as water flows should not be affected, however I have a nagging doubt, have I missed something here? why would the original plumber have gone to the trouble to build a load bearing platform to support it (400lbs?)

Regards Tom

Reply to
Tom

I can't think of any technical reason not to put it at floor level. Perhaps the plumber didn't like bending or kneeling when connecting the pipes?!

Reply to
Set Square

"Tom" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@sabbath.news.uk.clara.net:

I can't think why, I've just replaced my old cylinder with a Q/recovery and made room for another shelf even though it was nearly on the floor, in a situation just like yours.

(As I didn't know if there was a reason for it not to be on the floor, Ive put the new one on wood blocks, too).

The only decider on pressure is the cold water tank, which I raised last summer, with no noticeable difference.

In addition, as my DHW has pathetic pressure, I've installed a boost pump, which requires a good flow from the cold tank, so I put in a new, fairly straight run with a full bore lever valve to shut it off. This was very good, I've had it closed for ages while working below, and not a drop came out, but when I opened it the rush was scary, and it easily beat my cold water fill!

The jury's out at the moment - I'm just sorting out the wiring, as I changed to zone valves, and the original wiring is a real cat's cradle, but I'll let the world know if it's a success.

Good luck with yours, but I'd have started earlier; well I did, but I'm slow and ignorant.

mike

Reply to
mike ring