Replacing Built In Oven And Hob

If I have a built in oven and hob that are both wired into the wall, i.e. no plug and socket. Am I allowed to take them out and replace them even thought I'm not a qualified electrician...?

Cheers,

Reply to
Bob

Assuming you know enough to determine if the existing supply is correct for the new units, just do it and don't tell anyone.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The wife's not too keen on that idea. Think I might fry myself... The only thing that's really changing is the new hob is an induction one rather than a solid hot plate. I hear can they require a bit more oomph.

Cheers,

Reply to
Bob

Sadly you said the words "induction hob".

It is likely that your present supply cable is not suitable to supply the new power requirements and you will need a new cable from the consumer unit to the kitchen. Only someone with good knowledge can advise you, after seeing what you already have, and this would be an electrician.

You could connect it up yourself and get away with it for ages but Xmas day will come and the oven is on and the four rings on the hob are turned on and wifey hits Boost on one ring and the whole lot retires itself.

Reply to
EricP

In message , EricP writes

I thought (read in a Bosch/AEG glossy) that induction hobs were more energy efficient? I assumed that would mean their power requirements would be lower. Why am I wrong?

Reply to
Si

Energy = Power * time If they are rated at the same power, but are quicker, then they'll use less power. They *may* use less power to simmer, too.

I'm about to install a Bosch induction hob, rated at 7.2kW. I'm wary of using the diversity factor permitted in the OSG, so it will be on its own circuit with 6mm2 cable (

Reply to
Autolycus