Replacement Radiator Advice

Can anyone advise wether any particular make of radiator is good or bad? Are the plumbers merchants budget ranges any good e.g. Centerad, Alltrade, Heatline or should I stick to Stelrad, Myson etc? What are the ones from B & Q, Wickes etc. like?

Why are some radiators called "compact" when their dimensions seem the same as other radiators? Any difference between Stelrad Savanna Compact and Stelrad Compact apart from price?

Also some of the radiators I have are old imperial sizes that are either not made now, difficult to get or cost a lot more. Is it possible to get adaptor connectors that would enable a 25" long rad to be replaced with a 600mm (23.6") one, if so how do they work?

Lastly, I would like to replace a very old 30+ years single panel rad no fins, the 25" one mentioned earlier, with a panel plus but the centre of the current rad's tapping is 1.5" from the wall and most panel plus rads are about 2.5". Can this be done without redoing some pipework? Someone did do this for me previously but that was on a bigger rad - 1.3m long, probably had more play in the pipes. Is there anyway the brackets can be modified so that the tapping is brought nearer the wall or some other solution?

Thanks

The Plumbcenter Centerad range are made by Myson and are fine.....

You can get long radiator tails or simply move the pipework.

Some radiators have reversable brackets with different step off distances from the wall.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I recently bought some Rad Valve extensions from our local Plumbers Merchant. They saved me the job of having to move one of the pipes. Their Web address is

I suggest you give email or give them a ring and they will tell you the trade name.

Reply to
ksm