Repairing exterior building Joinery

Hi, tried to ring the SPAB helpline but am never getting through! I have a porch on my Victorian property which is in dire need or an overhaul. Paint is non existant in some places so I need to sort I our asap before winter. Basically there is an ornate section at the end of one of the supports in a corbel type style. It has started to crack severly and bends slightly out of alignment. The crack goes right through from one side to the other. I am could just fill and paint over or I could even just replace the whole thing with a new section of wood - I would prefer to retain the original wood if possible so any ideas or recommendations (including suitable products) would be gratefully received. It's not load bearing at the point it has split by the way, but would like the best most sympathetic solution. Many thanks! Rich.

Reply to
Richard

Can you run some foaming PU adhesive into the crack(s). When cured, trim and repaint.

Reply to
1501

The SPAB will tell you to dig up and resurrect the original carpenter that built it.

Filler on its own will probably be of limited use, if the crack is going to continue to move.

If you have the right skills and tools, look at pulling the crack closed with clamps, then using large screws (countersunk under the surface and capped with timber plugs), along with a waterproof glue inside the crack.

Otherwise find a traditional joiner to make up a whole new piece, or splice in a repair.

(actually to be fair to the SPAB, they will probably suggest the latter. Their weekend courses in traditional building restoration are very good, although they do tend to sneer at modern approaches widely used by professionals)

Reply to
RubberBiker

:-) lol thanks for the advice - I think it's a case of finding a traditional joiner then - any ideas for someone who will use proper traditional methods - or is yellow pages as good a place as any to start? Are there any online directories that could help prevent me getting stung? I'm in Sevenoaks Kent by the way so if anyone has good recommendations I'm all ears! Thanks.

Reply to
Richard

Way too far off my patch for me to view then quote.

Reply to
1501