Exterior building

Hi! Could somebody help me with an explanation what the term "exterior building" meeas. I've tried UTFG without success. (I guess it is a technical term from architecture or urbanism. I have an assignment to translate a text from English to Slovak, which has more to do with art and mathematics, but this term is used there and I am not quite sure about the meaning.) Thanks in advance! Martin

Reply to
Martin

On 09 Feb 2007, Martin wrote

Without some context of the usage, I'd say it's impossible to say. (I'm in the architecture/urbanism field, and I can think of a number of possible uses, but they'd all be wild-assed guesses at this point.)

How is the term being used in the original?

Reply to
HVS

The term does not have firm meaning in an architectural context. It is being used in a figurative sense, or is the product of some previous, and less than successful, translation from another language into English.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

On 09 Feb 2007, wrote

Hmmm; not sure.

My guess would be that it means something like "landmark/statement building" -- one which calls attention to itself, or is self- important.

It could be referring to the fact that what you see at the Parthenon is basically a sort of external shell (which surrounded the temple to Athena which sat inside), but the analogy to an extrovert personality seems more likely to me.

Reply to
HVS

On 09 Feb 2007, Michael Bulatovich wrote

I don't think it's the latter -- if you google on the phrase, it seems to be cropping up in current descriptions and other puff pieces in the journals.

Alas.

Reply to
HVS

Thanks for your answers guys. I've got now at least a feeling what approximately was meant by this phrase. (As I've written, I thought first that it is some technical term.) I'll try to find an apropriate translation (at least descriptive).

Thanks!

Martin

Reply to
Martin.Sleziak

It was a joke, Harvey.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

On 09 Feb 2007, Michael Bulatovich wrote

Sorry; was doing stuff in the office -- exciting time of the tax year -- and (gasp!) went away from the computer...

I *did* wonder what that "whoosh" sound was, though.....

Reply to
HVS

That was my joke crashing in flames...

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

I finally found a photo of that building in Toronto I mentioned a few weeks back - you have no idea how much I'm gonna hate myself for this if it turns out it's one of yours!

The quality of the photo's poor -- it was a quick snap taking during a downpour - but just *what* was going on here with the pink-coloured tower?

It's got to be one of the oddest mixes of commercial and residential languages I've ever seen -- like they changed designers during the project, and brought in somebody who designed Swiss Chalet restaurants to detail the top of the building...

Reply to
HVS

I thought it might be that one. Your photo shows it pink but I could swear it was 'buff'. It is an infill condo tower shoehorned onto the site of the rectory of St. Andrews, who's fanciful Romanesque Revival tower can be seen below.

It is definitely NOT mine, and has a curious piece of "public art" at the bottom of it. It is the work of one of the usual suspect in Toronto, I just don't remember which one. I must start to carry my digital camera with me...

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

On 09 Feb 2007, Michael Bulatovich wrote

Could be a trick of the light; it was a misty and wet day.

Thank heavens! It's always a bit embarrassing to discover you've just called a building a pig within earshot of the designer...

Reply to
HVS