More filling!

Further to my last post on filling Joinery, I've also got a problem with my painted kitchen cabinets - the joints are starting to open up in place on the doors - should I fill and paint over or is this a bad idea incase the gap closes up again? Many thanks Rich.

Reply to
Richard

Depends on the door. Proper panel doors are designed so the panels slide as the timber expands and contracts. If you stop it doing this by glueing it with paint, the panels might end up splitting instead.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

thanks for the reply. It's actually the joint between the stile and the rail that's opening up not the panel itself. Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
Richard

,

Sounds like it's the opposite then -- the panels expanded and couldn't any longer slide into the stiles, and so pushed them apart.

I think painting such a door just isn't going to work. If you paint it, you might as well buy a fake one in the first place which is probably machined out of a single piece of MDF or similar, and won't need slipping joints.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

See if the joint will pinch up with a clamp. Yes - reglue it. No - fill it.

Reply to
RubberBiker

Thanks, sounds sensible, willl give it a go

Reply to
Richard