Wozzit called?

Three poles in a triangle, one longer that the other two, used with a block & tackle attached to the longer one?

Its on the tip of my tongue!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

(a variety of) gin? (The sort which don't come with a slice of lemon.)

Reply to
neverwas

It's an iron-bound uncle frightener. Anonymous fruit bowls sold separately.

Reply to
Lino expert

Now I know you're feckin' dim!

Ever thought of a *T* *R* *I* *P* *O* *D* ? Which when used with a single wheel - is called a tripod and gin wheel and when used with a series of wheels is called,,,,,,,,,,,,,that's it, a tripod with a block and tackle - duh!!

Back to the killfile!

Reply to
Unbeliever

Oh, by the way f****it, three equal poles lashed together would be a tripod. When one pole is longer (clue in the OP) its not a tripod.

Wanker

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Where can I get a pint of what you are drinking? Or possibly an eighth of what you are smoking?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Perched atop an arrangement of three poles in a triangle.

--

Reply to
Lino expert

Why are you using a block and tackle on your tongue? etc.

Reply to
Jules

A frame?

Reply to
ericp

Nice! :)

Reply to
Clot

You're not thinking of a gyn, are you?

Jules

sheerlegs?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Could it be a "Petar".

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

A trestle?

Reply to
Matty F

Thats it! Well done that man & thank you!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

At the risk of raising MH's wrath some more.

Would an "asymetric tripod" be a fair description?

Reply to
1501

Prolly, wrath only directed at idiots like Unveliever.

"This animal is dangerous, if attacked it will defend itself".

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote

Apparently spelt shear legs. Not quite sure why, when the legs are in compression! See

for details.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

The word originally comes from "sheer" = steep.

"Shearlegs" is simply a spelling error. Since it's a common one, the dictionaries feel obliged to record it (as they also record "sheering" sheep) but being in a dictionary don't make it right.

Reply to
Ian White

Well I don't think that's right - sheers are two poles lashed together for straight lifting from a quay or the likes (like a derrick), shearlegs according to the HSS link given below and other sources, have three equal legs and the lift is central, but a gyn has one longer leg which is how MDH describes his quest, with the pulley on the end of the longer arm.

Having said that, this is the result of doing a bit of searching and I wouldn't have known this before. As shear legs are more likely to be still of use nowadays, and gyns is an old fashioned word, I wonder if shear legs incorrectly describes them both now.

Rob

Reply to
Rob G