Recommended post preserver?

I am replacing a large fencepost and would like to treat the bit going in the ground to get maximum life out of it. What preservative would anyone recommend to soak the last couple of feet of it in?

TIA

Reply to
Ziggy

Creosote. However, can anyone say what the difference is between this, and creocote?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Or Cuprinol Green or similar, but make sure the post is dry throughout in any case and soak it for as long as possible.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Creosote is no longer available/must not be used if you have any! Its been banned under EC guidelines with a penalty of (I think) £1000 (could be £2000) for any offender.

Creocote is the new approved version of the product.

Reply to
Paul King

Which differs how?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I thought it wasn't totally banned, just banned for 'non professional' use.

Reply to
usenet

It's not allowed in 'public areas' - but BT have special exemption to dip their poles in it, even though they are frequently planted in public areas. Since the new stuff smells just like the old, how could anyone suspect if you were using old stuff ?. Anyway this question has been asked before - use google. Someone makes his own by mixing old engine oil, paraffin and sugar I think, but this sounds more like napalm to me, and not recommended if near a water course. Quite why the EU are banning all the useful pesticides and preservatives at a time when the climate is getting warmer (=more pests) is a mystery. If you want your (gate?) post to last, don't fix it with concrete. Ideally get some of that yellow gas pipe and concrete that into the ground so that it is just below ground level and plant the post inside it, fixed in place with pea shingle.

Reply to
Andrew